Andersen's Amerock Roto 1880270 Costs Too Much

Quick Learner
Jul 11, 2018 2:24 pm

Looking for replacement part for "amerock roto part# 1880270" roof window operator. Anderson Window is requiring far too much, nearly the cost of the entire original roof window. Do you have a source which sells part, equivalent or functioning rebuilt/reconditioned part at much lower than $290? I do not need springs or other brackets.

7 Replies
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Jul 13, 2018 9:37 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Andersen stopped making this operator, as far as we know, so the decreasing supply has probably spiked the price, as you can see. We can't obtain it for any cheaper than you can, sadly.

I asked a hardware researcher, who feels your pain, and suggests the only possibility he believes could possibly work as an alternative: the 39-390 Andersen awning operator. It seems to have the correct sliding shoes to mimic the Andersen roof operator you need. See if you can possibly retrofit this to your window and save some money. It's hard to say if it will work, as far as the length of the arms and the position of the screw-holes needed to mount it.

Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Jul 13, 2018 12:23 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Paint thinner was probably the best choice of solvent. You might need a little more grease afterwards with acetone versus kerosene (to get back to a normal level of lubrication), but you dissolve more of the hardened grease with acetone than you would with kero. All's well that ends well.

For the new lubricant, I would recommend a modest smear of white grease on the gears to start. Then, you can use a silicone spray for the rest of your maintenance; things like lubricating the arms and tracks. Silicone is thinner, dries softer, and collects less dust than petroleum-based oils/WD40/etc., so you can try to avoid the operator gunking up again for as long as possible.

Glad to hear you avoided a costly replacement!

Quick Learner from I am the requestor
Jul 13, 2018 12:48 pm
With help from talented mechanic, it turns out the roto operator was jammed up with dry and hardened original grease/lubricant. It was so hard the operator would not rotate due to the gear teeth being blocked with the stuff. An over night soaking in painter thinner (kerosene would have been 1st choose)softened and dissolve the offending material. It turns using fingers directly on the gear shaft with ease now. I'm going to lub it with a grease and reinstall, expecting long service success. thereafter.
Home Owner from 01201
Aug 22, 2022 10:54 am
Hi Tom,

I am in the same situation. However, it looks like you can not even buy Part 1880270 anymore. I see you mention the the 39-390 Andersen as an alternative that might work. Have you heard from anyone if this did the trick? From the picture, the shoes do not look the same.

Thanks
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Aug 22, 2022 12:47 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hello! I have heard that the 39-390 operators work, yes. However in each case I have been told that it takes a certain amount of handiwork to install, due to the differences between the old and new operators. If you are not handy yourself then I would recommend having a local professional do the job for you, as it takes altering the shape of the sill.

Quick Learner from Southampton, NY
Oct 17, 2022 3:36 pm
I am looking for an Anderson roof window operator part #1880270, I know it has been discontinued but hope that you can help.

Steve
IMG_4798
1 user uploaded images
Casey
Casey from SWISCO
Oct 21, 2022 1:36 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hello,

I've added your request to another thread referencing the same 1880270 Andersen product number. Take a look and see if you might be able to adapt the 39-390 operator mentioned in this post to work for your repair. Thanks for posting. 

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts