Simonton Window Parts

Home Owner from Colorado Springs, CO
Jul 1, 2022 2:59 pm
Need to replace the window coil assembly and the pivot foot on Simonton Series 7 windows. This is a single coil with "409" stamped on the coil.
Also looking for the jam expansion blocks (qty 2) that help with installation. I saw these on a You Tube video that showed how to replace these parts.
See attached photo of parts I am looking for.
I will need about 20 of these parts.

Thanks
Simonton Window Parts
1 user uploaded images
7 Replies
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Jul 6, 2022 1:47 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Looks like you have the old Simonton brand coil balance assembly. They no longer made this, but we have two possible solutions for you to consider.

The first is our 15-192 pivot shoe, along with our Series 170 coil spring (and other parts related to its store page). This is a Certainteed brand part but I have had customers in the past tell me that they got it to work after grinding down the front of the face, which sticks out just a little too far for this window.

The other option is a more modern replacement that I think works just as well, if not better, since it's not prone to breaking in half like your old one is. The video below will go into more detail. This will explain exactly what parts you need to buy and how you can install them in your window. Just note that you will need the exact weight of your sash on hand in order to calculate the proper spring strength. You want to divide that weight by how many springs support the sash, then pick accordingly.

Jul 8, 2022 2:17 pm

I watched the video. Good stuff on replacement. I have various sizes of windows with different weights. The window weights I have are as follows:

• 26" x 24" 16 lbs total window weight
  • 32" x 30" 24 lbs total window weight
  • 32" X 24" 20 LBS total window weight
  • 44" x 24" 26 lbs total window weight

Please advise the proper coil assembly to use for each window.

As a summary I will need the following for each window:

• Qty 2 15-259 shoe
  • Qty 2 S159 coil Determine proper coil for weight of each window
  • Qty 2 15-255 coil support
  • Qty 2 26-083 pivot bar

I also saw another video that mentioned some jam spreaders that make it a little easier to install the new parts. Is this something you have?

Let me know on the proper springs and I will get these on order. Are these parts normally in stock?

Thanks

Jerry

Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Jul 11, 2022 9:17 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hello, Jerry! That parts list looks good to me. Based on the weights of the sash given, I would recommend the following Series 159 spring combinations, in order:

• 16 pound sash: S159-8 (8.5 pounds each, one per side, 17 pounds of total support)
  • 24 pound sash: S159-12 (12.5 pounds each, one per side, 25 pounds of total support)
  • 20 pound sash: S159-10 (10.5 pounds each, one per side, 21 pounds of total support)
  • 26 pound sash: S159-6 (6.5 pounds each, two per side, 26 pounds of total support)

You'll note that most of these are 1 pound over the sash weight. This is inevitable since all of our Series 159 springs have support loads in .5 pound increments. It should be fine, though. A difference of only one pound won't be the end of the world, but you don't want to push it much further than that if you can help it.

As for jamb spreaders, that would be our 75-069. These will definitely make your life easier, but they can be a little tricky to use. If the window is particularly old then you risk cracking the vinyl of the jamb if you spread them too far. 

We typically only recommend these for professionals who plan on using these for many, many jobs in the future. If you're only doing four windows then you may not find the investment to be worth it, but it's ultimately up to you.

Jul 18, 2022 1:56 pm
Thanks for the information. I will get all these items on order.
Jul 21, 2022 12:30 pm
One final question on the proper coil support. I have some windows with 1 coil per side and larger windows with 2 coils per side. Is the #15-255 for 1 coil per side? Will this work for 2 coil per side? If not what is the # for coil support for 2 coils per side. Attached is photos of each type.
Thanks
Single Coil Support Dual Coil Support
2 user uploaded images
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Jul 21, 2022 1:45 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Yes, the 15-255 is just for one spring per side. For two springs, I recommend the 15-256.

I've never tried it before, but you may be able to use two 15-255's if you're in a pinch. I think the 15-256 would be an easier solution though.

Jul 31, 2022 5:21 pm
I just installed the 1st set on windows. Well built parts and easy installation with a few minor tweaks to the pins. It has been a pleasure dealing with Swisco- good parts and great support. I will recommend Swisco to anyone needing to repair old windows.
Thanks
Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts