Simonton double Hung upper sash balance hardware

A handy person from South Padre Island, Texas says:
The photo shows the number on the bottom sash but I haven't been able to get a good picture of the strip on the upper sash. They appear to be the same tag this one showing bottom but the top tag again appears to be the same. This window won't stay up and I have had to cut dowel rods to keep it closed till I get the correct hardware. I will take the old balance down if need be to see if there are any numbers on the springs.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0651.jpeg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hello!

We appreciate you reaching out to us. I'm afraid this window sticker doesn't help us identify what you have. If the window won't stay open then the odds are the balances are the culprit. Window balances are spring-loaded mechanisms that can be found on either side of the window frame. Their job is to regulate the opening and closing of the window sash. 

In order for us to help, we'll need you to remove an undamaged balance from the window and show us some photos. I may need more photos and information after that, but I have to know what to ask for first. Just something to keep in mind!

I've removed the left side balance for the bottom window. and am attaching the pictures. The only numbers I can find are on the spring in the scuffed area and it is 409 J. If I need to remove the balance for the upper sash I will. I am on the 6th floor of our condo and don't want to take a chance of dropping it.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0658.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0659.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0660.jpeg
Also I want to change all 4 balance assemblies as I don't think maintenance has been performed on these since they were installed.
Profile picture of Emily

Thank you for getting back to us. You have two options based on what you show here. One option would be the 15-192 which uses the S170 and S171 coil springs. Note, you would need to shave down the aligners on the front of the pivot shoe's face so that it can fit into the track. 

The other option is the 15-259. This is designed to use the Series 159 coil springs and can work as-is without any modifications. The video below will walk you through every step of the replacement process.

Let me know if you have any questions!

If I use the 15-259 does it use 1 or 2 springs per side. Mine has dual springs and these windows sashes are pretty heavy. I've looked at the pivot shoe for the 15-192 and it seems that trimming the shoes won't be too difficult. Also if I use the 15-259 shoes would I need to change the pivot bars. I am ready to order the components and want to make sure I get everything for both sashes in the window. You can call me as I know you are busy with other customers if it would expedite this process and if I have other questions.

Bob 

Profile picture of Emily

The 15-259 pivot shoe can use either one or two springs per side as long as the coil weights are within a pound of the window sash's actual weight. You would also need to replace your existing pivot bars with the 26-083 as mentioned in the video above. 

To determine the appropriate coil weights, you will need to divide the sash weight by the total number of springs in the window. If you're still not sure, let me know the exact sash weight and I can calculate what is needed from there.

Please note, the 15-192 cannot be returned for a refund once it's been modified. If you decide to go with this part, we'll need to see a photo of your pivot bar removed from the sash to confirm if it will be compatible with this shoe. 

I'm afraid our department can't make calls. I can only respond right here on this page, I hope that's okay. 

Good morning Emily, I want to go with the 15-192 pivot shoes with the S170 and S171 coil springs so I assume I need 4 of each for both sashes. Also I'll need 4 of the dual spring covers and bushings. Please advise me on how to proceed with the order and payment. Also please make sure I am ordering everything I will need.

Thank you for your help with all of this, I appreciate you very much. I do wish they would let you use the the telephone as this would be much quicker and easier to be able to speak with you all. I know that's not anything you can do anything about.

Bob 

Additionally, if I can order the new spring covers and balance bushings, I would like to order those (either one or two pc). The covers are 1 1/4" wide so the narrow cover I believe.

Sorry for the multiple emails but wanting to again make sure I order all that I need.

Bob 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named webcam-3/9/2023, 8:52:09 AM.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named webcam-3/9/2023, 8:52:48 AM.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named webcam-3/9/2023, 8:53:36 AM.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named webcam-3/9/2023, 8:59:12 AM.png
Profile picture of Emily

Sure, the 15-185 narrow cover and 15-157 drum are used with the S170 and S171 coil springs. I just don't know what coil spring weights you'll need. In order for me to determine the proper weights, I'll need you to tell me the exact weight of the sash. It is also important that we see your existing pivot bar so that I can confirm if it will work with the 15-192 shoe or not. 

Thanks Emily, I pulled both sashes out and weighed them on my bathroom scale ( that I don't trust, may weigh 2 to 5 lbs ligh) and it indicated around 32 lbs each. I did pull the balance assembly for the top sash while I had it out and took it apart to check the spring markings and they are both 409 J's for both double spring balances. I am including a picture of the pivot bar that both sashes use as well.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0665.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0663.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0664.jpeg
It's me again, I started putting components in my cart. I noticed that the S171 spring isn't available in 409 it is however available in 407, will this still work with my windows? Also I would like to order the small screws that attach the coil springs to the shoes as mine are pretty rusted, if you have a part number for those. Are you able to see my shopping cart before I hit checkout to make sure I have what you think I need?
Profile picture of Emily

Thank you for the additional photos and information! You can use one S170-409 9-pound spring and one S171-407 7-pound spring on each side of the window. This will total 16 pounds of support on each side which will carry a 32-pound sash. Note, the S171 spring should be stacked on top. It is also important to note that this weight setup will work as long as the sash weighs exactly 32 pounds. Just something to keep in mind since I know you said that you don't trust your scale. 

I recommend you use the 26-336 pivot bar as a replacement but you will need to reuse the old cam in your original pivot shoe since this part isn't compatible with the cam in the 15-192. As for the screws, see the 33-072

I'm not able to view your shopping cart, unfortunately. 

SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a Simonton coil balance
How to replace a Simonton coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window pivot bar
How to replace a window pivot bar
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.