Spiral Window Balance - HELP!

A quick learner from USA says:

I have several single hung wood windows that I am planning to use Swisco Spiral Window Balances on. They currently have different types of balances, so I do not have an old balance to measure. I do not plan to remove the sash from the window when I install the new Spiral Window Balancers.

My Sash is 20" total in height. Above this sash is a gap of 17 3/4" that the new Spiral Balance will be available during installation. How long of a Spiral Window Balance do you feel I should buy.

I am pretty certain that I need your S500 with your 17-012 Bracket.

Also, The weight of the sash is 9 lbs. Should I buy the Red or Blue?

The groove in the sash is for a 5/8" balancer.

Attached is a drawing of the window.

Your help is greatly appreciated. Also, Non Tilt.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Balance (2).jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hello there!

The best way to determine the length isn't to use the overall height of the sash. That's a common misconception. Instead, you have to get the height of just the visible glass and then add 3" if it's for the bottom sash and 1" if it's for the top sash. For example, if the visible glass is 15" high for both sashes, then you want an 18" long balance (bottom sash) and 16" long balance (top sash).

Once we know the correct length, we can try and determine the proper weight option. 

A quick learner from USA says:
The visible glass is 15 1/2" and the weight of the sash is 9 lbs. 5/8" groove. So I am thinking an 18" S500?? Do you feel Red or Blue would be better????
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for getting back to us. If the visible glass height for the bottom sash is 15-1/2", I would recommend going with the S500-19 with the red tip option. A pair of balances with this option will support a sash weighing 6 to 19 pounds. 

How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.