Swing sash windows from Silverline

A home owner from Mahopac says:
Hello!

My Mother's house had "Silverline Swing Sash" windows installed when it was constructed in 1968; some of the spiral tube balances have been damaged over time and we are looking to replace them (note: this model has the shoe/foot attached). I have uploaded pictures of one, along with a picture of a window hinge that has also failed, which we need a replacement for. Dimensions are as follows (as near as my Mom could measure them!):

Tube material = aluminum
Tube diameter = 3/8"
Hole to hole distance = 9/32"
Tube length = 23"
Total length, with shoe/foot = 26"
Bearing appears to be white
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for contacting us! These are very, very old Silverline swinger window balances, however I think we can still help. They'll just have to be custom made, since they're a bit obscure. I just need you to confirm a few things first.

You mention that the diameter of the outer tube is 3/8", but in my experience it's more like 5/8". Can you confirm?

There are also usually two different types of balance in this window. Did you only need the balance that uses the 15-024 shoe, or did you need both? Can you tell me how many of each you need?
Hello Paul,

I will head back to my Mother's house in the near future to measure the tube myself with a micrometer caliper, and will also confirm the type and quantity of balances needed. Thanks very much!
Hello again Paul,
I visited my mom today and took slightly more accurate measurements; here's what I saw:

Balance tube diameter = 9/16" (or 5/8" to the trade)
Hole-to-hole distance in the rod extension is approx. .9" or 7/8".

If this is a custom order, can you tell me what it would cost per unit? We would need three balance assemblies; all are configured the same and mount on the right side of the window frame. We also intend to purchase the replacement hinge, a dozen replacement shoes, the appropriate rivets, and three "lock sliders" (plastic slide mounted inside the top right of the lower window frame which enables you to release the window so that it can swing inward).

Thanks very much for your help and have a great weekend!
Profile picture of Paul
Thank you! So just to clarify, you only need the balance shown in your pictures that has the shoe? You don't need the other side?

We will email you a custom order link for three of these immediately. If you need more, or a different quantity, let me know!
Dear Paul,

I went to my Mom's house today and the custom balances fit perfectly! Thank you so much for your help.

Am I correct in assuming that the shoe attached to the balances was your part # 15-024?

If so, I'm going to purchase 10 more, as we have a number of balances with broken shoes that function correctly otherwise. I will also be purchasing 12 of the rivets needed for the shoes, 2 of the hinge assembly (part # 15-027), the charging tool (part # 75-002) and, if available, the appropriate rivet removal and installation tools. Again, thanks very much for your inavaluable assistance and have a great weekend!
Profile picture of Paul
Oh, that's awesome! I'm glad to hear everything worked out. Yep, the 15-024 is what we used. Let me know if you have any other questions, we're always here to help!
How to replace a channel balance attachment
How to replace a channel balance attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace an accessory on a channel balance
How to replace an accessory on a channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.