Tilt vinyl window won't stay up because balancer is broken.

Handy Person from Cornelius nc
May 19, 2024 7:48 pm
Balancer is broken on a tilt vinyl window. It won't stay open. I don't know what make they are. Swisscom helped me on my previous home. Please resume me again. Thanks
IMG_0493 IMG_0492 IMG_0491
3 user uploaded images
5 Replies
Bob
Bob from SWISCO
May 19, 2024 9:46 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Thanks for posting. We shall endeavor to help you again. Without seeing the pivot shoe further down the window track that these coil springs connect to, I can't be 100% certain of what you have. However I suspect that is a 15-181 Double Coil Support. This works with the 15-180 Pivot Shoe and Series 190 Coil Balances. If you're unsure of what spring weights to select for the replacement coil springs, give me the exact weight of the window sash, and I can work it out for you. Let me know what questions you have.

May 21, 2024 8:43 am
This is what the undamaged window looks like. Thanking you in advance.
IMG_5172 IMG_5173
2 user uploaded images
Bob
Bob from SWISCO
May 22, 2024 11:00 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

I'm afraid these photos don't give me any new information, but I still feel confident in my recommendation above. If you haven't already, your next step should be to compare the information we list for each part in question to your original hardware to determine how well they match up.

May 29, 2024 8:46 am

Thank you Bob, appreciate the info. I am about to order the parts for four windows. Your recommendation fits the old parts perfectly. Although the broken windows have a single coil support and I can't find a number on the old coils. One window ways 13 pounds and the other 18.5 lbs. Which coil numbers do you think I need? Secondly, not sure if I need the balance bushing or where that would actually go if I do. I haven't found one of those on the existing windows.

Last but not least there is a sealing strip or gasket along the bottom of the window that fits in a 1/8 inch track which needs to be replaced. They just slide into the track at the bottom , I have attached a photo .

Thanks again from a SWISCO fan.

IMG_5199 IMG_5200
2 user uploaded images
Bob
Bob from SWISCO
May 29, 2024 2:01 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hello! I'm glad to hear the parts fit. I'll do my best to help you narrow down the weights.

For the 13 pound sash, I'd suggest the S190-640. These carry 6 pounds per spring so having one on each side should be sufficient. You'll be one pound off but I don't think that'll be the end of the world.

For the 18.5 pound sash, consider instead the S190-940. These carry 9 pounds each, so one on each side will give you 18 pounds of total support.

Lastly, for the seal, I don't know exactly what this may be. We sell a ton of different wool pile sizes, which you can see here, but you'll have to remove a sample of the original to determine the best option. Just note that when you measure you'll have to mentally compensate for wear. It's not going to be the same exact size it was when it was brand new. 

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts