31" 3/8ths spiral balance with red coloring

A home owner from Florida says:

Need to replace this part new home no markings. 31" 3/8ths had red coloring barely visible. Also has no attachment plate for bottom sil

I found the manufacturers name milco Thank you

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named sash.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named sash1.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm afraid that I cannot identify the hardware in your photos. They're just too blurry for me to make anything out. Can you take some clearer pictures for me to review? Can you also describe to me exactly what this is and what its function is?

it appears to be a spiral counter balance in aluminum cover with white vinyl cover but somehow attaches to side of sash
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named sash3.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks! It looks like it might be a spiral balance for a non-tilt window. It's tough to say for sure. If I'm right, though, and if the spiral is 3/8" like you mentioned, then our S400-31 might be your best choice. Look it over and let me know if you agree.

your right it does appear to be it but can you provide any info on installation i see nothing on line on what is needed or how to attach to bottom side.

Does the bottom sash need to be removed (not sure you can) in order to attach at bottom

TY

Profile picture of Tom

I'm afraid that these sashes cannot be removed, no. These were designed under the impression that customers would buy a whole new window if anything broke. This is obviously unfair, which is why we like to sell the balances for anyone who may need them.

The bad news is that replacement isn't always easy because of this design. The only way to do it is to try to slide the balance behind the sash from the top. This could be simple or difficult depending on how much clearance you have. If clearance is really bad, you could try getting it in from the bottom, but I personally find the top to be easier in general.

If you do get it in, you can then screw it in at the top, wind the balance 3-4 times with a charging tool like our 75-005, then attach the spiral to whatever hooks are installed at the bottom corners of the sash.

hello

I actually found two plastic clips I thought were related to the attaching of the spiral but it appears since i slid one up it popped out to be the lock for removing sash. Will see what happens
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.