Vinyl window parts

Home Owner from Seattle, WA
May 6, 2024 1:06 pm

Hi-

The part (metal coil) that keeps these windows open has failed and the windows do not stay up.

Do you have replacement parts?

Thank you.

Rip.

IMG_1819 IMG_1818 IMG_1817
3 user uploaded images
7 Replies
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
May 7, 2024 11:39 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hello, Rip. Your pivot carrier here looks like a match for our 15-087, which is compatible with our Series 180 coil spring. Note that you'll need the stamp on your old spring to select the proper Series 180 weight option.

Look these parts over and let me know if you had any questions.

May 14, 2024 5:51 pm

Hi -

Thanks for your reply.

The windows have no visible markings and I can't get the pivot carrier or coil out of the window frame. Would the size and/or dimensions of the window help to choose the correct weight option? I'll have to get someone local to help with installing the part and I'm trying to avoid buying the $165 tool to remove and read the coil.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Rip

Tom
Tom from SWISCO
May 15, 2024 9:06 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

If you're unable to remove the balance, then your only other option is to weigh the sash and then divide that by how many springs support it; in your case, 2. 

So, for example, if your sash was 10 pounds, you could use one 5 pound spring per side. If it was 12 pounds, you could use one 6 pound spring per side, and so on. 

You can weigh your sash on any common bathroom scale.

May 15, 2024 3:29 pm

Hi-

The sash weighs 20 lbs (with glass). Do you have the replacement parts I would need for 2 windows?

Hopefully I can find someone locally to install them.

Thank you!

Rip.

Tom
Tom from SWISCO
May 16, 2024 9:01 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Great, so if you have one spring on either side of a 20 pound sash, you can use our S180-10. These are rated to carry 10 pounds each. 

All orders can be placed directly on our site at your convenience. Please feel free to reach out if you had any other questions and we'd be happy to assist!

May 16, 2024 9:52 am
Fantastic!
One final question: should I replace the other parts in the photo on your website as well? It looks like they are all sold separately.
Thanks for all your help and let me know if you know of someone in Seattle who can install all these goodies!

Rip.
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
May 16, 2024 10:45 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

As long as the pivot carrier and bracket are in good condition, they can be reused. Just in case they aren't you can use our 15-087 and 16-024, respectively.

I am unfortunately not familiar with your area, so I don't have any contacts near you. However a local hardware store should be able to point you in the right direction.

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts