Window Balance removal

Quick Learner
May 7, 2024 9:53 am
I am attaching several photos in order to try and identify the replacement balances that I'd need for windows in my home. I'm guessing these windows are original to the house which would put them as having been installed around 1960. The windows have a fixed (at least they do not appear to move) upper and a sliding lower portion. I didn't notice any identifying numbers of any kind.

Please also let me know if additional information/photos will help to identify the right part and whether you think that replacement is even worthwhile (if you can, based on what you can see).
IMG_1625 IMG_1627 IMG_1631 IMG_1626
4 user uploaded images
1 Replies
Paul
Paul from SWISCO
May 9, 2024 9:44 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hello, thank you for posting,

You are correct these are the original window balances for your wood sashes. This type of balance system was very popular after WWII for wood windows. You should be able to replace them with the Series 500 spiral balances. Before purchasing parts we will need the balance tube length. To do this, you might need some one to help you. First remove the screw or nail holding the balance tube at the top of the track. Now raise and hold sash up, under the wood sash is a metal bracket attached to the balance spiral. Remove this bracket to release and drop the balance. Measure the length of balance tube, so you can order. Weigh the sash to confirm the colored tip needed based on the strength chart on the product page of the length needed. Below is the generic directions for installation of new Series 500 balances.

First drop the balance behind the sash and screw it at the top with the 33-017 screw. Raise the sash and have someone hold it up, while you place the 17-012 bracket under the sash and have it corral the spiral. Screw the bracket to the sash. Continue holding up the sash while you bring the spiral up to the the bracket. Now turn the spiral clockwise with the 75-005 tool about four turns. Then lock the bow tie at the end of the spiral to the 17-012 bracket. Do the same on the other side and try the sash. If it creeps down, give the spiral another turn.

Let us know if you have any additional questions! 

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts