1/2" non tilt channel balance

A quick learner from vero beach fl says:
the channel bottom and top pix are from existing smaller width window (36x36) recently retrofitted by a fellow no longer in town.

please help me order a pair for the kitchen window which is 36h x 48w.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1184.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1181.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1185.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. I'm confident we can help you replace this channel balance, but that stamp 1930 only tells us its strength, not its identity. I'll need clearer pictures of the attachments at both end, preferably with the balance removed from the window. The video below shows how to do just that. We should be able to aid you from there.

i was unable to get the bath window out of the frame shown here is a dining area window. its a 16" long channel. thanks
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1199.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1198.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1197.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1196.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1195.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for these new photos. Based on what I see here, you have either our Series 380 or Series 385, depending on the depth of the bottom shoe. That's the only difference between them. I recommend measuring your shoe and referring to our dimensions to confirm the best match. The diagram below will show you exactly what I mean.

You should also double check the length of the metal channel. As the old stamp reads "1630," the length of the metal channel should be 17".

Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.

1. for kitchen window: the dining area bottom shoe is 1". so i will order s380 at 17", yes?
2. would the reason i cannot get the bathroom window out of its frame be because it was replaced with a 16" channel (should have been 17") and with a different bottom shoe style?
3. if yes to question 2, and i order another set of 17", do you have a video to address that? i can't finagle the bathroom window to clear the vertical outer frame so it will swing into the room. ty
Profile picture of Bob

Someone may have installed the incorrect balances in your window but we can't not confirm if that is the case since we have no way of knowing what was there originally. If it is from the same manufacturer and style as the window that uses the S380-17 balances, then you could certainly try installing Seris 380 balances to see if that corrects the problem. 

Since the window is a different size, you would need to weigh the sash to determine the correct strength option based on the chart under the balance product description. You'll also need to measure the height of the visible glass in the bathroom sash and add 1" to determine the balance length. Again, we can't guarantee that this would work without knowing the specifications of the original balances but if you decide to give it a try and run into any problems, our return policy can be found here.

As for the balance shown in your photos, I agree that the S380-17 would be correct as long as the metal channel measures exactly 17" and the shoe measures 1" deep. Also, please note that the 1630 strength option indicated by your balance stamp will support a sash between 12-14 lbs.

16" or 17" or something else?

visible glass in kitchen is 15 1/4"
visible glass in bathroom is 15 3/4"

please advise channel length(s). ty
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

I believe I can assist you. Based on the heights of the kitchen and bathroom windows you've given, I believe both windows will both take S380-17 balances. Now, the kitchen is wider, so it stands to reason that it will take a heavier balance spring (1630, for a sash that weighs 12 through 14 pounds). Normally the bathroom window is narrower, so it might take a spring weight (1620, for a sash that weighs 8 through 12 pounds). I would weigh both sashes to confirm it falls within those weight ranges. Let us know if you have further questions. 

How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.