Crestline window part

A handy person from New Haven, Indiana says:
The nylon roller that guides the window to open and close is worn out and needs to be replaced. The window opens all the way with no problem. But when it is cranked to close, the roller falls out of the side slot and the arm continues to rotate inward, leaving the window in the same position as when the roller dropped out. We have to crank the arm out to the window, manually insert the roller into the slot, and while pulling the window, crank it closed a half-turn, and then the hardware will continue to close the window. Unfortunately, the roller is riveted to the arm and is not held in place with a screw and bolt.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230926_152006.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230926_152643.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us. It definitely looks like a problem with that wheel, but the bad news is that these aren't provided separately by any manufacturer. If yours are broken, then you'll need an all new operator.

I feel confident that we can help to that end. Before I suggest anything, I'd like a clear, top-down photo of the base. If there is any secondary split arm I would also like to see that, though the ideal photo would be everything all together in one shot. Please let me know if that would be possible.

Is this what you are looking for?
Harlen
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230929_153308.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

That is precisely what I wanted to see, thank you!

With this photo in mind, my top suggestion is the 39-032 Truth EntryGard operator. This should be fully compatible with all your existing hardware. I think you should just review the arm sizes to be 100% sure they match; I think they will, but it can't hurt to verify.

We sell the opposite side under our 39-031, in case you also needed that.

Dimensions for 39-032
Dimensions for 39-032

Tom,

I got the parts yesterday that you suggested. Unfortunately I would like to send back the entire order.

First, on the entry gard dual arm operator 39-032, the nylon roller is exactly the same size as the roller on the old arm. When I opened the box I thought the roller looked small. So I held it over the old roller and they looked the same. I got out my micrometer and they both measured 0.561". They are the same size! That does me no good as the new roller will also fall out of the track when it passes the exit slot.

Second, the LH casement lock, Andersen,38-057, is not quite the same size as the old lock. A year ago or so, I ordered a LH casement lock for about $25 which had the same shape as the old one and fit and works fine. Photo #1 shows the old lock with the one recently received. The bodies have different shapes and the screw holes are different in location and center-to-center dimensions. Photo #2 shows the lock I ordered a year ago on the left and the new one on the right. Photo #3 Shows the difference between the year-old lock and the new one. The year-old lock matches everything on the original lock. The new lock also has a third screw hole which aligns with the edge of the window frame; not a good place to put a screw.

Would you please give me a RMA and instructions on how and where to return these parts (39-105 included)?

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Casement latch 1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Casement latch 2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Casement latch 3.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

I'm sorry to hear that the 39-032 didn't work for you. That's honestly pretty surprising; Truth doesn't make these with different sized wheels, especially in such small increments as you're describing. They pretty much use the same size wheel on 99% of the operators they make, and the rare exceptions are an entirely different style altogether. 

Looking at your photos above, I had assumed the issue was because your old wheel was cracked. I honestly still think that's the case. Wheel size shouldn't be the issue here, but rather wheel condition. Considering the 39-032 has the same size wheel as the original operator, I think this still may be what you need. Did you try it out yet? It may just work fine. If it doesn't then there is another issue at play here. In my experience, wheel size has never been a concern in any window I've worked on that uses this hardware.

Either way, there are no other options. Like I said, Truth only makes this style wheel in one size. It would be very odd for your window to be designed to use a different wheel size that is non-standard, and then for the installers to not even use that non-standard size to begin with. It is more likely that your old hardware was just broken.

As for the lock, you can't use Andersen brand parts in windows designed to use Truth hardware. Your old lock looks like it might be a better match for our 38-144. Look this over and see what you think. Note that you may need a new keeper, depending on how old your window is; see our 38-276 and 38-277.

Tom,
You are right about the sash lock. I'll have to order the 38-144 and return the other one. The keeper looks identical to the one on the window.
The symptoms for the operator was that it would fall out of the track as it went by the cut-away in the track when the window was being closed. I would have to reinsert the roller into the track to finish closing the window. When opening the window the roller would push against the other side of the track and it would stay in the track. But when closing the window, it would push against the side of the track that has a slot to allow removal of the roller arm. It would literally fall out of the track. That is why I thought the roller was worn. I'll give the new operator a try. I won't be able to do that until next week.
What do I have to do to return the wrong sash lock?
Harlen
Profile picture of Tom

Sure, sounds like a plan. Now that you've described the problem like that, I wonder if it could be an issue with the hinges, too. If they're sagging for whatever reason, they would lead to the track not being aligned properly with the operator. That extra friction you described is what makes me think that. I'm not 100% sure, but that could be an alternative explanation.

As for return instructions, you can see those here.

I don't think the hinges are the problem. The window closes completely as it should and the sash lock engages with no problem. I have another window which is in the sum room that does not close correctly but the roller does not fall out of the track. I am thinking that the arm somehow is bent down just a little bit since I do not have to press the are down to release it from the track as I have to do with other windows. I have been to busy to install the new arm; maybe this afternoon.
I installed the dual-arm operator and it works beautifully. You were right about that. No longer do I have to remove the screen to close the window. But I still need to return the 38-057 and exchange it for a 38-144.
Thanks
Profile picture of Tom

Great, I'm happy to hear that installing the new operator seems to have corrected the problem. As for sending back the 38-057, you can refer to our return policy and submit a request here. Keep in mind that we do not offer exchanges, so you would need to place a new order for the 38-144

Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Orient a Dual-Arm Operator
How to Orient a Dual-Arm Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.