Double Hung Window Balance

A quick learner from Aston, PA says:
I am looking at replacing the balance & sash locks for the double-hung window. The label on the window states H-LC35-46x77.

Can you please suggest the part, so that I can purchase from your site.

Also if you could please confirm if the parts are returnable/replaceable if it does not fit.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Coil balance
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Broken shoe
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Label
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Label 2
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20240309_140737.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

We can't be sure with the hardware still installed but the shoe resembles the 15-180, which uses the S190 coil springs. You'll need to locate the numbers stamped on the original coils to choose the corresponding strength options. These coils use the 15-181 support and 15-182 bushings for installation. Take a look at these parts, as well as the related videos and return policy here. Thank you! 

Alternate image for 15-180
Alternate image for 15-180

Thank you for your response. I disassembled one of the working windows and attached the photos.

There are two different sets of balance on each window - one for the upper sash and another for the lower Sash.

Lower Sash:
Single coil spring with a stamp of number "8". So, can you please confirm if the following parts are correct:
o Coil Balance Soe (15-180): 02
o Balance Bushing (15-182): 02
o Coil Spring (S190 with a stamp of 840): 02
o Coil Balance Clip (15-186): 02

Upper Sash:
The upper sash seems to have two Coil Springs in one assembly. One stamped as "5" and the other as "6". So can you please confirm the parts:
o Coil Balance Shoe (15-180): 02
o Balance Bushing (15-182): 02
o Coil Spring (S190 with stamp of 540): 02
o Coil Spring (S190 with stamp of 640): 02
o Double Support Detent Clip: 15-181: 02

Since the spring & bushing seems to be fine, is it ok to replace the plastic parts that are broken?

On a separate note, can you please also suggest the part number for the Sash Lock. (I had sent a photo in the previous message as well.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pivot shoe
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Coil stamp
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Coil back
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Coil balance side
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named UpperSash_SpringStamp
Profile picture of Casey

I agree that it seems like you've picked out the correct parts besides one of your coils appears to be stamped with a 9. Since it can be tough to determine if the stamp should reach 6 or 9, I'd recommend weighing the window sash. From there, you can divide the weight by the number of coils on both sides of the window, 4 in your case, to confirm the correct strength options. You are also correct that you should be able to reuse the original supports and bushings if they are still in good condition. 

As for the sash lock and keeper, take a look and compare the specifications of the 90-309 lock and 90-307 keeper to yours. We also offer the 90-308 opposite-handed version of the lock. Just let us know if you have any other questions. 

Alternate image for 90-309
Alternate image for 90-309

Alternate image for 90-307
Alternate image for 90-307

Coil Spring - so what does the single digit number denote - is it the weight in pounds it can carry?

For example on one window, the weight of one sash is about 26 pounds, and there are total two coil spring, one on either side. The stamp on each coil states 8. Does it mean it is meant for a sash weighing 16 pounds and not the 26 pounds Sash?

Thank you
Profile picture of Casey

You're correct that for a window that uses one 8-pound coil spring on each side, the sash would generally weigh 16 pounds. For a 26-pound sash, I would recommend using one S190-640 and S190-740 on each side of the sash. Just let us know if you have any other questions. 

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.