I need to replace these window channel balances

A home owner from Washington DC says:
I need to confirm the part. Seems the right and left side are different. One side is 3140 and other is 3140x. Both are 32 inches.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 8F8A2E78-5B96-4A9F-9049-FB1F77C71BCC.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named B5B401A4-358B-4D7B-AF79-AFB2D717E573.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named F4375CD3-4DA5-4749-948A-6478EF4FC16A.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 429F1307-A9D0-44DC-87F1-7EE5AEB5848E.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 8AE99799-81B0-45C7-8FB3-872F65728564.jpeg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hello there!

This is odd. It appears you have two different Series of balances in the same window. Are there identical windows in the house? If there are, I recommend checking each one to see if any have the same balances on both sides of the window. Let us know what you find and we can go from there. 

I checked a few windows and they all seem to have this combination. I can check the rest to confirm they are all like this.
Profile picture of Emily

Okay, thank you! We will be here to help. 

Hi seems like they are all mixed matched. Maybe whoever put them in did it wrong. Is there one I should choose? What's the model I need to pick?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hey there, Emily isn't here today but I will do my best to assist.

If all of your windows have mixed and matched balances, then I'm going to be blunt with you: that's a big problem. Identifying these products is based almost entirely on reference of the old parts. It sounds like someone repaired these windows at some point in the past and just put in any old thing they had laying around. This is pretty common for contractors who are rushing a job or homeowners trying to repair a home before it sells. An easy job for them, but they made your life a whole lot more difficult.

All that is to say that there's not really a way for us to verify exactly what you need. Your guess is as good as mine. If I were you, I would give the windows in your house a careful once-over just to be 110% sure that there isn't a window that still has its original balances that are identical on both sides as designed. If not, then you will have to do a careful inventory and see if there is a common link from window to window. Is there any style balance that's used consistently across the board? Is there any window that seems to have a better operation than the others? Look out for things like that and get back to me.

Another path we can consider is the make of the window. Do you know the name of the manufacturer? Check the inside of the frame for a metallic AAMA sticker. These often give a clue as to who made it. Now, this isn't always going to be a guarantee; a single manufacturer can easily use multiple different balances over the years, so even this will be a gamble. At the very least I'm hoping it will point us in the right direction.

Regardless of what kind of data you come back to me with, I will do my best to make sure you walk away with at least something. However it's important to understand now that nothing we offer will be a guarantee. Any suggestion I make will be a gamble, and at the end of the day you'll have to use your best judgment. I can definitely give you a reasonable hypothesis, and I'm pretty good at it, but it's still something to keep in mind before we go any further. I just want to make sure we're on the same page.

Hi I just checked another window and both the balances are 3140. Seems that is the most likely correct one.
Profile picture of Emily

Great! If the 3140 stamped balances have non-winged top and bottom fittings, then I would recommend the S351-32 or S390-32. The important difference between these parts is the depth of the bottom fitting as shown in the image below. You'll have to measure yours to determine the best replacement. 

Comparison of the S351 and S390 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S351 and S390 balance shoes.

However, if the 3140 balance has winged top and bottom fittings, you would want the S380-32 or S385-32 instead. You will also have to measure the bottom fitting as shown below to see which is the best match.

Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.

Hi unfortunately these were too strong and seemed to break a component of my window. I think I'll need to downgrade to 3130 instead of 3140. Can I return these?
Profile picture of Emily

Certainly, you can find our return policy here. A pair of balances with the 3130 strength option will support a sash weighing 16 to 23 pounds so you may want to weigh your window sash to confirm prior to ordering. 

Thanks! Do you think you could help me identify this part linked here? One is pictured installed and the other is the piece that broke when installing the 3140 balance.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Profile picture of Emily

This part is called a top sash guide but I'm afraid this one is too damaged for me to identify. Would it be possible for me to see an undamaged version removed from the window along with the dimensions? What we're specifically looking for are "mugshot" type angles of the top sash guide, from the side and front. 

Listing below some images with measurements. Thanks!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4065.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4064.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4063.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4061.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4059.jpeg
Profile picture of Emily

Thanks so much! Our 18-174 comes to mind and the dimensions appear to match though it's hard to say from photos. Take a look at the specifications and see if the screw hole matches up with yours.

So close! Unfortunately the screw hole is off by a tiny bit. The screw hole seems to be closer to 10/16ths rather than 23/32. Is there anything similar to what you suggested with a slightly higher screw hole? Thanks!
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

In that case, you may want to consider the 18-009 with a screw hole that's 5/8" down. See what you think!

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.