Searching for andrusko double hung

A quick learner says:

I'm so glad I found your website! You'll find my pictures attached. It is an Andrusko double hung window (from Unicorp). On the window it also says "DS LowE TI BtrWHT Cont 6 Lite Btm" if that means anything to you! Please let me know if you carry the balance I need.

The other thing you'll see from my picture is that there is no slot in the window frame for me to remove the existing broken balance (or install the new one). Does that require me to cut out my own space (as I saw done in one of the youtube videos I watched). If so, do you have a recommendation of where I should make that cut and how?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Sincerely,

Matt

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1764.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1765.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1766.JPG
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Hey there, thanks for reaching out! We do not carry an exact match for your coil balance assembly however, your coil balance housing looks similar to our 15-087 Coil Housing Pivot. Carefully review and compare the dimensions to those shown below to determine if this is the correct replacement. I am confident these are the replacement you'll need.

Detail of 15-087
Detail of 15-087

This coil housing is compatible with the Series 180 coil balance spring. Since your appears to be stamped with a 6, you'll need the S180-6. Although, you may want to confirm that your sash does weigh 12lbs.

The metal piece anchoring the coil spring to the top of the channel is our 16-024 Mounting Bracket.

A quick learner from Maryland says:
Thank you, Jasmine! That was a helpful response. Now I'm wondering, though, whether all I really need is the coil balance spring because that's what snapped. The coil housing pivot seems as if it's just fine. Am I right that once I had the housing pivot out of the window track, there would be a way to attach the new spring?

Speaking of the window track, I still have the following question from my original post: The other thing you'll see from my picture is that there is no slot in the window frame for me to remove the existing broken balance (or install the new one). Does that require me to cut out my own space (as I saw done in one of the youtube videos I watched). If so, do you have a recommendation of where I should make that cut and how?

I also saw that you had those "jamb spreaders" to avoid having to do this kind of cutting, but they were fairly expensive ...

Thanks again for your help!

If you believe the coil housing is still in good condition, then you should be able to reuse it just fine but you'll have to make that determination after having examined the hardware.

Once you have the housing pivot removed from the window, you should be able to pry the housing open to replace the coil. It may take a bit of force and a just a little patience but it is fairly easy to do.

In regard to removing this hardware, my apologies for missing that part of my response. Either of the methods you mentioned would be suitable for removing your hardware. If your window does not have the cutouts, you'll need to make the decisions on whether you will go with the method of making the cutouts yourself or purchasing the jamb spreaders.

If choosing to make the cutouts, you'll want to do it in an area that would not interfere with the function of the window. Take a look at the video below which specifically details the cutout method to see if this may be of better help.

Both methods work efficiently. For your situation, it's just a matter of choice.

Again, that was helpful, Jasmine. Thank you! I am very impressed by you. Due to your excellent customer service, it's likely I will turn to SWISCO for all my window hardware needs.

Thank you so much for your kind feedback. It is greatly appreciated!

It was my pleasure to assist you with this repair project.

Please feel free to reach out with any other questions you may have and certainly for any future projects.

Have a great day!

Hello again, Jasmine,
I have learned a lot about how coil balance systems work as a part of this process! The video and feedback you provided were very helpful, as have been the parts I've purchased from Swisco so far. However, I have a couple of follow-up questions: 1) I mistakenly ordered a 10 lbs. coil for one of my windows, when I really needed a 7 pounder. Is it possible to return it for a refund? 2) Speaking of returns, the coil housing pivot you recommended was the right size, but I didn't realize until it arrived that it didn't work with the kind of pivot bar we have on our windows. Our pivot shoes have a depression on them that the collars of our pivot bars fit into (the depression surrounds the actual blue hole that the pokey-out part of the pivot bar slides into -- I hope that makes sense!). Anyway, since the housing pivot didn't seem to work, I wondered if I could return that, too. 3) And that leads me to my final question regarding pivot shoes: My windows are all operational now because I've replaced all the snapped coils we had. But an ongoing problem is that my pivot shoes do not stay in place when they're supposedly in the locked position. That makes it very hard to work with the window sometimes because the coil housing units go snapping up (with a great deal of alarming force, destroying parts in the process). I believe I caused this problem originally because I smeared a lubricant in the window track when the windows were squeaking very loudly, but even after thoroughly cleaning all the affected parts, the shoes are still not locking as they should. Do you have any suggestions for how to address this problem?

Since your existing pivot housing will not lock into place, it is very likely that it needs to be replaced. Therefore, I would recommend holding onto the housing pivots you purchased. There is a chance you may just need to replace your existing pivot bar to one that is compatible with both the window and the housing pivot.

With that said, I'll need to see a photo of your existing pivot bar, removed from the window. You'll also need to have it removed to confirm your measurements.

To return the incorrect coils, please take a look at our return policy here. There is a link at the bottom of the page that will help you get the return process started.

Thank you for your help, Jasmine. Here are a couple of pictures of our existing pivot bars. I also included a picture of what our pivot shoe looks like, so you can see what I was describing about how there's a shallow depression around the blue hole that the wide part of the pivot bar fits into. I also uploaded a picture of the bottom of the window that I removed the pivot bar from.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSC_2386.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSC_2387.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSC_2390.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSC_2391.JPG

Yes, I understand. Your older pivot shoe has a cam like the pivot shoes typically used for tilt window spiral balances. Theoretically, our 26-040 should work as a suitable replacement for your pivot bar as you existing pivot bar is not compatible with the 15-087.

Take a look at the dimensions below. You'll especially want to confirm that the installation hole measurement matches the installation hole on your sash.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Alternate image for 26-040
Alternate image for 26-040

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.