front sash guides, balance foot, metal fork, and broken piece screwed to sash

A quick learner from Saint Petersburg, FL says:

Greetings, Please Help? I have old aluminum single hung windows that I'm trying to refurbish. I believe the broken part screwed into the bottom sides of the sash is your 17-050 The broken piece is part of the old foot that was attached to the spiral balance. I also need the tiny little face guides I've taken pictures of. There are four tiny holes in the front sides of the sash L R Upper and Lower. The little tabs just push into the holes. The face guides have little pegs that fit into the holes. The spiral balances are 9/16 better known as 5/8. My bedroom windows take 18 inch and my front windows take 24-inch-long spiral balances. I purchased the wrong balances. I purchased the S500 series which I believe someone substituted and used your bracket #32 to attach the balances. Can you please tell me what I need and if you have the Metal forks or some other replacement for that? I only had forks left in one of my window sashes. The others are all gone. I don't think the bracket #32 works with the 17-050. Can I return and exchange the incorrect balances I purchased? Thank you so much for your help. Who knows what people have done to my window in the past 57 years.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20231112_183116[1].jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20231112_183306[1].jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20231117_190008[1].jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20231117_190116[1].jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20231117_190202[1].jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

The correct balance replacement used with the 17-050 nylon sash clip would be the Series 200 with a 5/8" thick tube and 15-010 nylon shoe attached. The metal fork is no longer made, unfortunately, but you can still install the S200 balances by following the steps below: 

First, remove the sash and replace the 17-050 bottom nylon sash clips. Then screw the balance tubes to the top of the track. Next, reinstall the sash back into the track. Have someone hold the sash up while you bring the spiral up to the sash. Just before you clip in the balance shoe to the 17-050 sash clip, give the spiral about three or four clockwise turns. You will feel tension building as you turn the spiral. Once it is charged, push the shoe into the sash to clip the shoe into the 17-050 clip. Repeat this process on the other side and test the sash to ensure that it functions properly. 

If you need new face guides, you can start by comparing the specifications of our replacement options here to yours. You can also review our return policy here for the parts that you already purchased. Thanks for posting. 

A quick learner from Saint Petersburg, FL says:
What exactly do the metal forks do? My problem now is that the Sash moves left and right at the bottom when raising it, it isn't balanced. So, will the 17-050 nylon sash clip with the Series 200 5/8" thick tube and 15-010 nylon shoe fix the window from not going up straight?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

The Series 200 would help in the rocking of the sash, but since you are using Series 500 balances, you need to install the 67-002 face guides. Two at the top and two at the bottom on the face of the sash to keep sash from sliding into the track. 

Regarding the metal fork, with the sash out of the window track, you would install the Series 200 by screwing the top of the tube and locking the nylon shoe after you charge it under the fork. With both balances locked in the fork, you would install the sash just above the nylon shoes and slowly bring the sash down so the nylon shoes would lock onto the17-050 sash clip.

How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.