pivot shoes

A handy person from Palos Hills Illinois says:
Hi. I do not know window brand but I have many broken shoes that are at least 35 years old. Shoes I have now measure 1/2 inch thick, 15/16 wide and 1 and 15/16 high.Looks like your 15-046 shoe. That shoe is 1/2 inch thick but to wide at 1 and 1/4 wide. You have no other 1/2 inch shoe that looks like mine. Can I use your 15-173 shoe? It is so close to mine. Is there a way to shave down a shoe to make it a tiny bit smaller in thickness and width? Somewhere in one of your articles I read that 9/16 inch is considered 1/2 inch in the trade. Does that pertain to pivot shoes? What do you suggest. I need to get these windows working again. I can not send you pictures. Thank you. Terry
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

The 15-173 did come to mind based on your description but we would need to see photos of your pivot shoe removed from the window to determine if this would be our best replacement option. 

Also, you are correct that 9/16" is generally considered 1/2" in the trade but this could still be an issue if your window channel has exactly 1/2" of clearance and the shoe measures a hair over. Thank you. 

Profile picture of Casey

If you're having trouble submitting your photos, you are welcome to email them to help@swisco.com with reference number D292541. 

Hi Casey. Thanks for such a quick response. Hope these pictures are okay. Got a neighbor to help me send them to you. Thanks. Terry
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0435.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0436.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0437.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0438.jpg
Profile picture of Casey

Thanks for getting back to us! Based on your photos, it looks like the 15-173 would be our closest match. With that being said, it could still work for you as long as it will fit inside your window channel, as well as attach to your original pivot bar and balance assembly. Note that this shoe is commonly used with the S600 spiral balance. Past customers have also purchased this shoe with pivot bars measuring 3/16" high by 5/16" wide. Take a look and if you decide to give it a try and run into any issues, our return policy can be found here

Hi Casey. I checked my pivot bars and they do measure 3/16x5/16. I do not have spiral balances. I have the ones with the string and small metal tab on the bottom. But looking at the picture of 15-173 I see no reason why the string would not just slip thru the slot and tab goes under like I have now. Do you agree? So I am going to order the 15-173 and hope it works for me. Thanks. Terry
Profile picture of Casey

The 15-173 is sometimes used with channel balances such as the S770, so I agree that you should be able to attach your balance to the shoe as long as the specifications match your original part. 

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.