need recommendation for old mirrored metal bifold closet door hardware

A handy person from Virginia says:
Hi There,
I recently bought a couple used mirrored metal bifold closet doors to replace our wooden bifold doors. The bifolds are 36x80" in dimension. The wooden setup has single top track and bottom pivot bracket. I would like to have same setup but I'm willing replace the track, bracket, and hardware. Can you make the recommendations on which parts I need? Also, will the metal bifolds be OK with only top track and not the bottom track?

Thank you!
-Tom
Bifold door hardware
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Tom. I see you placed two orders for hardware that I don't think will work for you, so we put them on hold. I believe I have a better solution for you.

Since these are metal mirror bifold doors, you will need a top and bottom track to better carry the weight. For your 36" opening, I recommend two 21-401 bi-fold door tracks. I also feel the 21-002 threaded bifold pin will work better for this door pivot, as well as three 21-004 spring loaded guide pins with 21-150 nylinders so the pins will slide in the metal door frame. You might also need our 21-277 rubber bumpers in the tracks to lock the door in the close position.

Please review this hardware and see what you think.
Hi Paul,

Thank you so much putting my orders on hold and thank you for your recommendation. Is there no alternative option to NOT install a bottom track? I would rather not cut up the carpet to install a bottom track.

Thanks,

-Tom
Profile picture of Paul
Hmmm... that can be a little tricky. The metal mirror bi-fold door you bought was made for a top and bottom track. That said, I have an idea.

Now, I can't guarantee this will work, but it may be worth considering. You could use one track and two 21-044 for the top of the door, along with the 21-250 nylinders to go with them. For the bottom, you can use one 23-303 bottom jamb bracket and one 21-003 bottom threaded pivot pin. The bracket would substitute the track while the 21-003 pin connects it to the door. It's not elegant, and again I can't be sure this will work, but it's an idea.
Thank you Paul! I will go ahead and place an order shortly based on your suggestion for one set, to see how it works before ordering the other set. In the meantime can you please cancel my two previous orders? I?m not sure what the rubber bumpers are for and how it works. Can you please explain a little?

Thanks,

-Tom
Profile picture of Paul

Great, the order has been cancelled! As for the bumper, this is placed in the top track near the wall to help keep the door closed. For a single door opening, sometimes you need to shorten the bumper if the space is too tight.

Hi Paul,

Wow...that was some fast delivery! I was able to install using the parts recommended and using the jamb bracket easily. However, I now see the reason for your initial recommendation, this bifold door really need the bottom track to support the weight or else it drags slightly across the carpet. I going to place another order with your original parts recommendation. Thank you so much for your!

-Tom
Bi-fold Door Repairs
Bi-fold Door Repairs
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.