Single Arm falls out of track on Casement Window Sash

A quick learner from NY says:
Hi i have a home full of 20yr-old Norco series D crank-casement windows. All have "Truth" single-arm mechanisms. The little "button/wheel' at the extent of the arms on very many of these windows - the button that inserts into guide the rail - falls out of position. Maddening. I am constantly having to remove screens to facilitate replacing the wheel and then cranking the window shut. I am looking to you folks to an answer: perhaps a simple fix, perhaps an improved design mechanism that i can install
User submitted photos of a window operator.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello there. So, it sounds like the wheel bearing on the operator arm keeps falling of the track. Is that correct? If so, not to worry; I have a couple of recommendations:

First, check the track that the wheel bearing attaches to make sure it's not damaged. The problem could be as simple as that. 

Next, check the casement window hinges to make sure they're not damaged in any way. From what your saying it sounds like the sash is closing at a skewed angle, which could be the result of worn hinges that need to be replaced. Specifically, if the top hinge is hanging up slightly and the bottom hinge isn't, that could account for the operator arm popping out of the track. Finally, if the track and hinges seem to be okay, your problem might simply be that the operator is broken. To find out, detach the operator from the window sash, then open and close the window manually. Does it seem to work okay? Is anything hanging up? If you can close the window just fine by hand, then the operator is likely the problem and needs to be replaced. Maybe consider a new 39-027E and 39-028E. These look like they might match. Take a look and see what you think. 

A quick learner from NY says:
When I crank the window open and shut, the sash itself is solid and true. Forms a perfect weather seal with the opening. nothing askew about the windows. and the hinges they operate on are solid and installed properly. It's very simply these little wheels that fall out as soon as they find themselves travelling over the middle notch on the track.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Hello, perhaps I can help. I believe you have either the 39-505 or the 39-533 track on your window. In the center of the track, there is a cut out so you can release the bearing from the window track. Not sure, but check to see if your bearing diameter is worn down. It should be 9/16". Also check to see if maybe your track is installed too high on the sash. See if you can reinstall the track just a little lower on the sash. Another quick fix could be to bend up the end your operator arm just a little to keep the bearing in the track.

A quick learner from Toronto, ON, Canada says:
This happened to me - turns out the arm screws attaching it to the frame was loose. Tightened with my handy-dandy multi-screwdriver, all good. Well, the rubber seal is also broken on one side, but that's a separate issue ...
A quick learner from Grand Rapids, MI says:
What I've found is that the window was installed wrong. For my window on the right, looking out, the crank mechanism was installed too far left, 1/2 inch too far away from the wall. When the window is closed all of the way, the wheel runs out of track and slips out. The next time I crank the window open, the wheel is just pushing the track/window out, but is not actually in the track anymore to pull it back in.

I verified that my window on the left, looking outside, the crank was installed 1/2 inch closer to the wall, in the proper spot. That window does not have this problem.

My possible solutions:
1. Unscrew the track, drill new holes, and screw the track back in further to the left.
2. Move the crank mechanism farther to the right, closer to the wall. This will mean making the hole for the mechanism bigger, and will have to fill in the exposed hole to the left with a pvc vinyl filler.
A quick learner from Hickory says:
I have 30 year old wood casement windows made by jeldwen. The top of the windows sliding mechanism has fallen off track. When I open window the top of window falls out. It is not on track. How do I fix this?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

It sounds like an issue with the hinge assembly. I'm not sure why it may be falling out, but the simplest explanation is that it's simply broken. If that is the case then repair isn't an option; you'll have to replace it.

Your first step is to take the sash down and carefully examine the hinge for any obvious signs of damage or malfunction. If it is in need of replacement, take a few photos of it while it's down and we can check our inventory for a possible replacement.

Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.