weather stripping

A quick learner from Gresham, OR. says:
1/4" fin x 3/8" knap x 7' long

Fin = white plastic that slides into the door or kerf

Knap = black hair that protrudes from the Fin and seals the door

Looking to match what we have, we have 5 or so doors that need new weather stripping.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named B door weather stripping.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190917_140407 top B weather.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm afraid that we don't have a type of wool pile in that exact size. The closest options we have are our 58-158, which has a 7/32" wide base and a 5/16" high pile (as well as a rubber rain strip running down the center), and our 58-099, which is 9/32" wide x 5/16" tall. Could you use either of these as a replacement? If you want, you can order a sample of each here to try out. 

Sorry to get back to you so late, cruise to Alaska! now back to work...let's try the 7/32", 58-099 sample and the 9/32" sample. How does that process begin?

steve
Profile picture of Tom

You can click here to view our selection of samples and place an order directly from there. 

So I tried your two samples, the 58-158 would fit into the door, but was a bit short on the pile length. Tom, do you have a wool pile that is 7/32 x 5/8 black (or gray)?
Profile picture of Tom

I'm afraid that 5/16" is the highest wool pile we have that also has a 7/32" base. 5/8" is very large for wool pile, in fact, and we only see it in special cases like the 58-179, which is for commercial grade doors. Could this be a better option for you?

Yes I may get a sample of that one, thanks Tom.
Profile picture of Tom

Great! Please let us know how this one works out, too. We'll get something to fit come hell or high water.

Hey Tom, the 58-179 has a great length of pile for our door. Its just that the fin is too small. the fin needs to be 7/32nd"and the pile for our commercial doors needs to be as close as possible to 5/8". Anything fit that bill?
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Unfortunately, I could not find any wool pile anywhere with a 7/32" backing at any height. The only ones I could find have a 7/32" back. The commercial doors I'm familiar with use the 58-014 for a double set of doors. You may need to look on the door for the name of the company who supplied the doors or check with a glass shop in your area who may have installed their doors. 

I apologize we could not provide more help with this.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)