Weatherstripping for Pella casement windows

Home Owner from Oregon
Jul 22, 2017 11:41 am
Windows are Pella Pro-Line, wood clad, Model 1, installed in 1998.

Weatherstripping is flat strip 5/8" wide in total. 1/4" is relatively stiff and has two 1/8" barbs for holding in channel on window frame. The remaining 3/8" is more flexible. It is made of some sort of vinyl-type material.

I need to replace the weatherstripping on all four sides of numerous windows, so I hope there is a replacement available in rolls that can be cut to length.

Thanks.
User submitted photos of weatherstripping.
15 Replies
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Jul 26, 2017 12:41 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT
I'm afraid I cannot identify what you have from this picture. Could you remove a sample and show us a clear picture of its end profile? Thank you!
Home Owner from Oregon
Jul 26, 2017 4:07 pm
additional photos
User submitted photos of weather seal.
User submitted photos of weather seal.
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Aug 1, 2017 10:08 am
SWISCO
EXPERT
Thanks for the additional information and photo. Take a look at our 58-178 Pella weatherstrip. It looks to be similar to what you have. Let us know if you think you could make this work for you.
Home Owner from Hanpton, Virginia
Aug 13, 2018 7:13 am
The picture above in this site is exactly the rain seal we have. It is 5/8" top to bottom and has the two securing bars etc. Your recommendation 58-178 is 13/16" top to bottom.

Do you have something that is 5/8"?
Or, do you have to trim the 58-178 to the desired dimension?
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Aug 13, 2018 12:05 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

This is our only Pella rainstrip, so you would have to make it work or seek Pella out directly. You like could trim the seal down to size, but of course, that's not ideal. See what you're willing to do. Customers have made this work in the past.

Quick Learner from Springfield oregon
Mar 30, 2020 4:48 pm
It looks like 58-178 pella weatherstrip can I purchase a small sample
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Mar 31, 2020 7:10 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Unfortunately, we are not able to supply a sample of our Pella brand 58-178. I apologize for the inconvenience.

Contractor from Kansas
Mar 12, 2021 12:25 pm
What you need is rain strip/ dust guard. What they sent you to look at is lower sash weatherstripping for a double hung window. Totally different stuff
Quick Learner from MN
Jul 18, 2022 9:43 am
So did this product work out ?
I need the same part that this customer was looking for.
Quick Learner
Oct 21, 2023 6:05 pm
How do you get the seal in or out without tearing, top and bottom no problem, sides ?
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Oct 24, 2023 8:50 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

There's not really any trick to removing this seal. Unless its stapled in or held in by some kind of adhesive, it should just pull out.

Now, whether or not it tears will depend on the condition of the seal itself. If it's particularly old and brittle then there's only so much you can do. There's no tip I can give that would get around that. You just have to take your time and be as careful as you possibly can.

Home Owner from Indiana
Dec 3, 2023 5:12 pm
Does this product exist in all black instead of just grey?
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Dec 5, 2023 1:55 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Thanks for reaching out to us. Unfortunately, the 58-178 is currently not available in alternative colors. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Home Owner from Michigan
Jul 18, 2024 5:07 pm
I have purchased the 58-178 weather-strip in the past. It works perfectly for the bottoms of my 24 year old Pella windows. However, many of my windows are 60" high. Is it possible to get the weather-strip in longer lengths, or possibly a roll?
Casey
Casey from SWISCO
Jul 19, 2024 8:45 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Unforutnately, we are only able to supply the 58-178 Pella rain strip in 38" lengths. I'm sorry that we won't be able to assist with this repair but please let us know if you have any other hardware questions. Thanks for posting. 

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts