what window balance do i need 2030C, 2730C

A handy person from Mandarin, Florida says:
I need some replacement window balances. The old number on one is 2030C. It looks like a series 380 or 385 will work. What is the difference between them.

I also need some 2030 balances. What is the correct replacement part for these? Some are shown with protruding guides on the side and some are not.

the 2730C part is 28" long (metal only)

and the 2030 part is 21" long(metal only) The plastic should be flat or with the extended guide tabs on the side.

The balances currently installed may not be the correct style but the length is correct.
A customer submitted photo of channel balance attachments.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! Proper channel balance replacements are determined by three factors: the length of the metal channel, the stamp printed on that channel, and the two plastic attachments on either end. All of these together determine exactly what you need.

Now, I'm a little confused. I know you have two balances, a 28" balance stamped with 2730, and a 21" balance stamped with 2030. What I am not sure about is the attachments.

I see that the bottom attachment for the 2730 balance has wings, but the attachment for the 2030 does not have wings. What top attachment goes on which balance? Does winged go with winged, and non-winged with non-winged? Or are they mixed?

Once I have the attachments sorted out, we can move on to the next step!
A handy person from Mandarin, Florida says:
The winged ends are attached to the 28" channel and the non-winged are on the 21" channels. The 28" channels are on a 31" X 46" double glaze lower sash. Are the 2730C balances sufficient for that window weight? Based on the width of the window frames, it looks like either winged or no-winged would work fine.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
It's always best to replace your hardware with what was installed originally, including attachment wings.

Now, before we get started on stamps, I just need to figure out exactly what attachments you have, specifically the bottom shoes. This is the final step in determining your balance Series.

For the balance stamped 2030, you either have our 15-001 or 15-002 bottom shoe. Please look at each of those shoes on our site and note the depth. They are 1-1/8" and 1", respectively. Which depth does your own shoe have? Which one of these two shoes does it more closely match?

As for the shoe for the balance marked 2730, I can't quite make out what it is. It looks like its been damaged. Is that true? Did it, at any point, look similar to the shoe on the 2030 balance?

As for the stamps, the best way to know if they will match your windows is if you remove the sashes from the window and place them on a scale. That is the easiest, and most accurate way, to determine what stamp would be best for you. If you'd like me to confirm the stamps, please tell me the sash weight for both your windows and I will work from there!
A handy person from Mandarin, Florida says:
Tom On the 2030, 15-002 is a match (1 inch) on the 2730C, it appears to be the S380-28 part with the top piece being 19-005 and the bottom being 15-005. the sash for the 2030 is 15 lbs. the sash for the 2730C is 28 lbs.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you. For the 21" balance, please see our S351-21. For its stamp, I would stick with the 2030. This can carry a sash weight range of 12 through, and including, 15 pounds.

For the S380-28, I think you should go with the 2750 stamp option. This can carry 26 through, and including, 30 pounds.

Do these options sound good to you? Let me know what you think!

Please keep in mind that the weight range information is based on 2 balances per sash. Balances are designed assuming friction in the jamb weather-strip will carry a portion of the sash weight. Suggested sash weights are approximate.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)