A home owner from usa says:

This is for a Tilt window.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named C78FD9FF-8540-4AE9-B5A5-5A57F76DE2E7.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named C3D42D4D-96DF-4CCA-A847-E2BF026CFC33.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3FC7DCAA-E89D-4776-97C5-BE3528FF4AF8.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 30534AB9-5005-41B1-9257-56E274E06DC9.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 4F5F4E3B-A702-427C-8765-3828E42DC3D6.jpeg
In reviewing all the inventory, the closest balance is an S770. Just the bottom clip is different than mine.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I agree, our Series 770 looks like a good base for this, other than the clip. What we can do is make this balance for you but with a 62-105 hook at the end of the cord to match your original, though this would have to be a custom order. Does that interest you?

If so, please tell me the stamp printed on the metal channel and how many balances in total you were interested in buying. I can then email you a purchase link and price quote that will let you add these custom parts to your cart.

See attached information.

I am a bit concerned that the pulley mechanism broke. The window is a double pane, and i wonder if it too heavy for this mechanism? The window weight is 24 pounds.

Yes please proceed to give me a quote.
thanks
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 16FA168E-FE0D-4F13-AF39-72E6C494DC0A.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Well, your old stamp of 2440 tells me that the old balances were designed to hold 22 through 25 pound loads. If your sash is 24 pounds then that is right on the money, so spring strength isn't the issue.

Odds are the problem was just with age. Balances have a lifespan of around 10-15 years, depending on frequency of use.

I'm happy to email you a price quote, but I will still need quantity. Our Series 770 uses a different rating system than your original, so it will have the 25D stamp on it, not 2440. The weight it can hold is the same, so don't worry about that, it's just a different stamp.

I will need two sets
(Two windows both sides)
Profile picture of Tom

Sure, so that'd be 4 balances altogether. I'll email that purchase link to you right now.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Hello,
I have installed one set and it opens the window with ease, however when trying to close it is very hard. You almost have to hang on the window to close it.
See the attached picture showing the original spring next to the new one I just received.
Did we get too much spring.
THanks
Walt
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 7EFF829A-FFB7-4BB3-B39D-FA8F06E381CB_1_201_a.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble. That definitely sounds like you're having an issue with spring strength.

As mentioned before, the balance we sold you is calibrated to hold 22 through 25 pounds. Based on your description of the problem, it sounds like this is way too strong. Can you triple check the weight of the sash to ensure that it's 24 pounds? 

Hello,
Yes I just triple checked it and it is 24 lbs on the money.
Walt
Profile picture of Tom

That's pretty odd, then. Let's try to narrow it down a little further. When you go to close the window, is it difficult to close the minute you apply pressure, or does it close normally at first but then hang up on the last few inches?

Hello,
Actually it is best in mid travel - it is hard to move at the full open as well as at the last 25% close possitions.
Profile picture of Tom

I've been discussing this issue with my senior colleague, and based on the issue described and the data given, the only conclusion that we can draw is that the spring isn't strong enough to carry the weight of the sash. That shouldn't be possible, though, since these have the 25D calibration. 

Did you have this issue with the other two balances that you purchased, or are they working fine? Can you also confirm that all four balances have the 25D stamp option? 

Right now what I want to do is send you new balances to make up for the clearly defective hardware, but I just want to be sure that whatever we send you is going to work. The last thing I want to do is send you a new batch that have the same exact problem. I just don't know what that problem is at this stage. Based on everything you've told me so far, there's no reason why these shouldn't be working.

Hello,

Based on what I can see, the window goes up with little effort, but at any point it is hard to lower the window.

To me it feels like the spring is too strong.

All 4 are stamped with 25D.

I only installed two so far - leaving the other two as spares for another window just like this one.

I measured the force needed to extend the spring to full travel and it comes out to 25 lbs on each balance -

With a window that is 24 LBS using two balances that is twice what is needed? Don't you agree?

Walt

Profile picture of Tom

The 25D stamp is rated to hold precisely 22 through 25 pounds; this rating is based on two balances per sash, so you don't double it. To put it another way, two 25D balances do not support 50 pounds. They strictly support 22 through 25. Balances are always meant to work in pairs and the listed support strengths reflect this.

I'm afraid at this point we are at a loss. Based on all the data given, there is no reason why these balances shouldn't be working for you. I agree that the issue seems like a problem with spring strength, but you tested the gauge of the spring yourself. These balances should be a perfect fit for your sash weight. The only logical conclusion that I can draw given the information at hand is that your sash is much lighter than 24 pounds. That is where all the math is pointing right now.

The only recommendation I can give you is to return the balances you purchased from us for a refund. You can see our return policy here. After that, you have two potential options:

1. You can opt for the 26C stamp balance, which is weaker than the 25D. Note, however, that these are only rated to carry 17 through 22 pounds (as a pair). Assuming that the 25D is too strong then the weaker spring would be the way to go. Just note that that support strength is much lighter than the sash weight given.
  2.  You could consider contacting the original manufacturer of the window for assistance. It is possible that this window requires special allowances that we are not aware of.

I am sorry that we cannot offer another solution to this. 

Hello,
I am not sure right now, the test I performed was on one balance having a tension of 25 lbs. at full travel. Putting two together that would be equivalent to a 50 lb force.
Do I have this all wrong?

Profile picture of Tom

You do, I'm afraid. Like I mentioned in my last post, two 25D balances only support 22 through 25 pounds. They do not support 50 pounds. It's important to understand that a balance rated for 50 pounds would have an extraordinarily powerful spring. These are pretty uncommon and have to be custom built from scratch on a case-by-case basis. This isn't something that the manufacturer would accidentally put in the wrong balance or anything.

All channel balances are calibrated as a pair. These are not springs that are meant to work on an individual basis, and you do not add their tension together.

I will reiterate to get to the heart of the matter: if your sash is 24 pounds, then the 25D stamp should work without issue. If it doesn't, then the only conclusion I can draw is that your sash is not 24 pounds.

How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.