Locking mechanism for sliding door

Home Owner from Seattle, Washington
May 13, 2024 3:51 pm
Name: c-176-1
Spec: SGD-C20
Series: 170
MST: 100610

I am looking for a lock for this door that has keys, so I can lock it and unlock it from the outside. I currently have a lock that only locks from the inside.
PXL_20240509_210733013
1 user uploaded images
8 Replies
May 13, 2024 3:52 pm
See image attached
Emily
Emily from SWISCO
May 14, 2024 1:27 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hello there! Thanks for reaching out to us. I'm afraid the sticker shown here doesn't help us identify your hardware. Can you show us photos of the lock in question? We'd also like to see a photo of the handle set.

May 14, 2024 11:27 pm
Here are some pictures
mortise lock cut out keyed exterior pull interior pull
3 user uploaded images
Emily
Emily from SWISCO
May 15, 2024 9:07 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Thank you for the additional photos! The mortise lock cut out reminds me of the 82-218 and 82-223. The 82-218 has a round face while the 82-223 has a square face but it's hard to say which one may fit due to the damage. 

For a new handle set, see the 82-030B and 82-030A depending on the position of the thumb lever. Review the specifications for these parts and see how they compare with yours. 

May 28, 2024 1:06 am
Hi Emily,

Thank you for sending these parts. The Mortise lock specs are the same as the Mortise Lock I got (from Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B094HYMQFJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1). The issue is the metal plate holes/cuts inside the door frame don't align with the Mortise lock and the door handle. Any suggestions? Do you think I need a new Mortise lock that does align with the door or do you think I need to make more cuts/holes in the metal plate?

Thank you!

Melanie

Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO
May 29, 2024 8:32 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

In most vinyl patio doors there is a steel metal stiffener sleeve inside to keep the door straight and to add strength to the vinyl door. What could have happened was when you removed your existing hardware, the steel stiffener could have dropped a little inside the door stile. You would need to raise up the stiffener to align with the cutouts and holes in the patio door to match the parts to be installed. You're also welcome to upload a photo of the original mortise lock in question for us to review. 

Jun 2, 2024 6:27 pm
Here is the Mortise lock I bought. The original one I am trying to replace fell down the inside of the door, so I cannot retrieve or take a picture of it. Thank you!
mortise lock mortise lock cut out mortise lock cut out
3 user uploaded images
Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO
Jun 3, 2024 9:58 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Have a look at the 82-223 mortise lock with the "square face". I'm afraid I can't be sure since the lock fell in the door and the cut-out is a bit mangled. However, I believe it is worth considering at least. Our return policy can be found here just in case. 

Alternate image for 82-223
Alternate image for 82-223

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts