Needing Nylon Rollers For 8 Ft Patio Doors

A home owner from Tonopah, AZ says:

All of our Home's Glass Windows & Patio Doors were Custom-made in about 1975 by Aluminaire Standard Glass Co in Phoenix, of Bronze Anodized Frames & Bronze Tinted Glass. The Sliding Patio Doors have Nylon Rollers in them. The Company was sold in,I think, about the late 1980's, & the owners are both deceased. They must have been involved with or manufacturing under some other names also. 

We used to order a supply of the Nylon SGD Rollers from them to keep on hand, & my husband & I would change them out as needed, 4 part of the rollers would break off at times. With us being about 60 miles from Phoenix & both glass door panels needing to be removed to change them, it was more practical 4 us to change them out ourselves, after the company did it the first time. However my husband is now deceased, & my supply of the nylon rollers have been depleted through the years. I am hoping to be able to get a supply on hand before I have a repair man come out to remove the doors & not have the proper rollers to replace them with. 

I don't have any of them to measure by before removing the doors, other than the matching Screen Doors that also have nylon rollers that pieces break off them, too. One of the broken ones of the Screen Door that I have here is 1 inch across, with a 1/4 inch center hole. I dont know if you can Judge anything by that,or if they used the same size door rollers for both the screens & patio doors.

I also need some internal parts to some of locks, but the handle plates with the locks are dark nylon also & flatter 2 the doors than the wooden ones shown on your catalogue. I can send some photos of them if needed. They can be dealt with later, if needed, for I can reach them without having to remove both patio doors to be able to replace the rollers. 

Do you think that you can help me with this before I try to get a repair man out to remove the sliding doors, for it is difficult to get repair people out to service our area due to distance. It is a more rural area. Thank you.  Doris

Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi there, Doris.

Thank you for reaching out to us. We'd be happy to help with this project but we will need more information. I'm afraid it's not possible for us to identify what you need without photos. Starting with the rollers, we would need to see a complete and undamaged roller assembly removed from the door, along with dimensions, for both the patio and screen door. 

As for the lock and handles, we would also need to see photos of them to compare to our inventory. 

Hi, Emily -

I hope that you got my 2 sets of handles & locks photos that I sent over the weekend, 4 I had 2 send them differently rather than 2 be attached 2 the Post, which also deleted my Post when trying 2 send the Photos. I will have 2 re-create the info on the Post again, which is not easy 2 do. I'm sorry 2 be so long in answering your reply. I have been busy with other things, so was not able 2 get back with you right away.

You indicated that you need 4 the complete roller assembly 2 be removed b4 you could help me with it, but I have no way of doing that b4 the servicemen would come 2 do the repairs, & I am trying 2 get parts 4 them b4 they come out probably 60 miles, one way, and remove the 2 door panels in order 2 check out the rollers & assembly. Just in case they don't have proper parts with them, & no way 2 get the needed parts that day, especially since they are older, custom-made doors.

It seems that I recall when my husband & I changed them out b4, years ago, that we had 2 remove or pry off a plate or strip off the bottom of the sliding door panel, which exposed an assembly where just the separate nylon rollers could be replaced. We replaced them in that door about 3 times through the years, 4 it got the most use being a door 2 the Den room, & was one of the heaviest, being an 8-ft door. I have 3 of the Sliding Arcadia Doors: the current 8-ft Den door, an 8-ft one close by in the Kitchen wall, not currently being used as it is blocked by the Kitchen table, and a 6-ft one in2 one of the Bedrooms that is used often. That is why I am needing the sliding screen door handles & locks 4 them, & the internal locking parts for the sliding doors.

I am interested in purchasing some of the separate nylon rollers & axles just 2 have on hand already, 2 see if they may fit, in case the servicemen don't have the proper ones. If they do fit, then I could order an extra supply later 2 have on hand.

When we had ordered the rollers at one time from the mfg company that custom-made all of our sliding doors & windows, they only designated them on the order form receipt 2 us as "2 Sets of SGD Rollers @ $10.10, at Whse Location, 4 a total cost of $21.34 on 3/16/89, if that is of any help. Thank you. Hopefully you can help me with this b4 I call someone 2 come out 2 repair the doors....Doris

Profile picture of Emily

I'm afraid we haven't received those photos, unfortunately. If you're having trouble uploading to the part identifier, you can email your photos to help@swisco.com with reference number D287422. We will do our best to assist once we receive them. 

As for the nylon wheel and axle, take a look a the parts I've related for you on this page and see if they match what you need. 

Emily - I have resent the 13 photos of Handles & Locking Mechanisms of my Sliding Glass Patio Doors & Sliding Screen Doors. I had sent them earlier on 5/6/23 to experts@swisco.com, & have just now resent them 2 you at help@swisco.com as you indicated 4 me 2 do (in 3 batches, 4 I can only send 7 at a time. I also included some notes with each.)

As indicated on note on batch 3, in looking at the nylon photos you sent along with your earlier reply, they all shoe a metal insert in the center hole. I dont think that the nylon rollers had any metal in the center, but rather were just all nylon, just as the rollers are all nylon 4 the sliding screen doors. Would it make a difference with the metal in the center of it 2 fit? I wouldnt know which axle they would take, since several are shown. Since my screen door rollers measure 1-inch diameter, the closest size you show is the 1-1/4 inch one, so I'm wondering if they may work, 2 at least have some on hand when I have the repairmen come out 2 do the job, in case they dont have correct ones 2 fix it with them.
Ref# D287422 - Nylon Rollers Needed 4 Sliding Glass Patio Doors, & 3rd Group of Photos of Handles & Locks 4 Sliding Glass Patio Doors & Sliding Screen Doors, Emily, here is the 3rd group of.photos, #12 & 13, of the Handles & Locks of
Sliding Glass Patio Doors & Sliding Screen Doors. In the total of 13 photos, you will see photos of the 8-ft & 6-ft Sliding Doors that I am needing handles and locking mechanisms 4, as well as the rollers.

On the nylon rollers, I dont think that they have a metal center on the existing ones. I think they are all just all nylon, as are the ones in the Sliding Screen Doors. Would that make a difference with the Metal Center in the hole 4 them 2 fit? Thanks, DorisAttn: Emily
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Screenshot_20230511-154920_Gallery (1).jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230423_135325.jpg
Emily, here is the 3rd group of.photos, #12 & 13, of the Handles & Locks of
Sliding Glass Patio Doors & Sliding Screen Doors. In the total of 13 photos, you will see photos of the 8-ft & 6-ft Sliding Doors that I am needing handles and locking mechanisms 4, as well as the rollers.

On the nylon rollers, I dont think that they have a metal center on the existing ones. I think they are all just all nylon, as are the ones in the Sliding Screen Doors. Would that make a difference with the Metal Center in the hole 4 them 2 fit? Thanks, Doris
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230423_135325.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230423_135346.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230501_142027.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230423_135400.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230423_133721.jpg
Emily, here is the 3rd group of.photos, #12 & 13, of the Handles & Locks of

On the nylon rollers, I dont think that they have a metal center on the existing ones. I think they are all just all nylon, as are the ones in the Sliding Screen Doors. Would that make a difference with the Metal Center in the hole 4 them 2 fit? Thanks, Doris
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230423_133837.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230423_133826.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230423_133819.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230423_133721.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230423_135947.jpg
Profile picture of Emily

Thanks for the photos, Doris. Our 82-033 handle with 3-15/16" installation hole center spacing comes to mind. As for the lock, check out the 82-214B or 82-211 depending on the dimensions. Review the specifications and see how they compare with your old hardware.

As for the rollers, I'm afraid the ones we've recommended previously are our best options for nylon wheels. However, you're more than welcome to browse our selection of Patio Glass Door Replacement Wheels & Axles here. You can also view our return policy here just in case. 

Regarding the sliding screen door handle, can you write out the distance between the two installation holes measured from center to center? That will help me narrow down some options since we have a large selection. 

Hi, Emily -

I sent you a long email text along with the 1st 5 Photos before 7 pm our time 2nite. I saw it send thru 2 you, then I sent the 2nd one with Photo #6, 4 it would only let me send 5 with the 1st one, even though I can usually send 7 at a time.

I don't understand why I am not finding the 1st one with the 5 Photos anywhere in my emails. I had also answered your question of the screw placements on the Sliding Screen Door Handle, which is 3-inches C/C. I took several measurements of various parts of the handles, locks, etc, that I sent. I had quite a time trying 2 measure them due 2 the bright sun & my vision issues, so they may not be exact, but should be close. I touched on some other issues concerning them also in the email, which I saw being sent, but cant find where it went now, so will try 2 send the 5 photos again instead of trying 2 re-create all of the 1st email of this evening. It is so frustrating! I also had asked about the difference in our times, 4 I think that you are on Daylight Savings Time, & AZ is not. We are on MST. So I dont know if you are 3 hours ahead of us now, or possibly more. I recall telling you also that I dont really need the Sliding Door Handles, but Do need the locks 4 them, unless I need the new handles 2 work properly with the new locks. However I do need Both the Handles & Locks 4 the Sliding Screen Doors. I saw on the photo of one of sliding glass Door Lock with Keeper, that the keeper is formed differently than my current one, so it doesnt appear that the new lock would work with my keeper lock, we would need 2 address that issue, & if it will work ok by replacing mine with the new keeper,
Thank you 4 all of you help & assistance. I appreciate it very much. I hope that my measurements on the photos will help you!
Doris.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230516_165818.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230516_173524.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230516_172832.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230516_171713.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230516_170755.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Emily.jpg

Emily-

In trying to read and print out our conversations on my computer just now, I clicked on the wrong link, and think that I removed my email address from our discussions in error. It is difficult for me to read the print on my monitor, so I hit the wrong one. I do want to continue the discussions with you, so thought I should let you know right away of my error. Thank you again for your help! Doris 

Profile picture of Emily

If your handle set is in working order then there's no need to replace it. As for the lock, the keeper that comes with the 82-211 appears to be close. If your lock is 3/4" wide, that would be my pick. 

For the screen door handle, I recommend you take a look at the 83-116, 83-121, 84-227, 84-230, and 84-231. They all measure 3" on the installation hole centers but review the specifications and see how they compare with your old handle. 

If you have any questions just let me know! I'm here to help. 

Profile picture of Emily

It sounds like you unsubscribed from this discussion post. I can't resubscribe you, unfortunately. What I would recommend doing is to keep track of your post by clicking on this link here. That way you will still be able to see my replies. I am very sorry for any inconvenience. 

A quick learner from Doris Heisler says:

Emily -

I would like 2 continue my conversation with you, 4 you are familiar with my situation & my photos of the Sliding Door & Screen parts. I am sorry that I hit the wrong link & unsubscribed our conversation in error earlier.

You indicated that I could try 2 stay apprised of your comments by clicking on a designated link on your reply. When clicking on it, it gives a choice of selecting: Open in New Tab, Open in Tab Group, Open in Background Tab, Open in Secret Mode, & Share Link. I am not sure which 2 choose, or what will be done from that choice.

I would like 2 send you some additional pix of a Sliding Glass Door Handle that was removed & taken apart quite some time ago. The lock 2 it is still in the blocked door, & is hard 2 reach. The other pix are of the Screen Door that are taken apart & show the handle & lock unit. Hopefully, they will come thru 2 you ok. I tried 2 send them with the Add Photos below this post, but as b4, it deleted my post & I could not attach the pix. I had 2 rewrite this post again. I will try 2 send the photos separately 2: experts@swisco.com. My Ref# is D287422. Thank you, Doris 

Profile picture of Emily

When clicking on the link in my previous reply, you can just click "Open in New Tab".

I'm afraid experts@swisco.com isn't an email that we use so we didn't receive your photos. You can email them to help@swisco.com with the reference number D287422.

A quick learner from Tonopah. Az says:

Emily -

I have not been able 2 get anyone out 2 replace the rollers, etc, in my sliding glass doors as yet. I have now run out of time 2 pursue it further at this time. So will need 2 wait 2 order any handle or lock parts at this time, 4 I am scheduled 4 two laser eye surgeries on the same day abt July 3rd, So will be going in 4 it in just a few days. I won't be available 2 pursue this project any further till at least September.

I want 2 Thank You 4 all of your help & texts! Time caught up 2 quickly 4 me 2 get my project accomplished b4 this appointment came due.

DORIS ID#D287422

Profile picture of Emily

No problem at all, Doris! I'm happy to help in any way that I can. We wish you well! 

How to Repair Sliding Glass Door Roller Wheels and Axles
How to Repair Sliding Glass Door Roller Wheels and Axles
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the Swisco 82-033 Handle Set
How to install the Swisco 82-033 Handle Set
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.