Window Sash Weatherstripping

Home Owner from Illinois
May 13, 2024 9:30 pm
Looking to replace the wool pile weatherstripping. I have(5) pieces of wool plie. Which include three on sash mating surface and two on side mating surface. In addition, I have (1) White flexible and rigid PVC extruded seal on bottom of sash. Looking for part number and cost estimates. The base/weatherstripping channel is 3/16" wide but not sure of pile height.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Bottom seal strip Bottom seal strip1 Broke Window Sash Lock set Wool Pile Stripping Wool Pile Stripping1
5 user uploaded images
5 Replies
Lauren
Lauren from SWISCO
May 14, 2024 3:52 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hello, thank you for posting,

For the wool pile, we have a few different height sizes for a 3/16" base. Please review the selection I have related on the page for you.

For the bubble seal, start by comparing the 58-164 and 58-183. Is the original foam filled? If not, the 15-183 style could make the window harder to open and close due to the extra material.

If you would like to try out some samples, please let me know! 

Do you also need a new sash lock? If so, please provide the distance between the installation holes from center to center. From there we can compare to our selection to determine if we can supply a proper fit. Thank you! 

Home Owner from Illinois
May 14, 2024 11:14 pm
Hello Lauren,

Thanks for the reply.

So for the wool pile, what kind effects would it have if I got a pile of the wrong height? Since I'm not certain as all the piles are pretty much flat now, what if I went with the middle of the road and went with the 3/16 x 3/16?

As for the bubble seal the original one does not have a foam filler. So I bet it's 58-164.

After I sent my initial post I then realized I Left off the hole centers of the sash locks. I would need two sash locks and the hole centers appear to 2-1/4". I attached additional pics of sash locks for reference.

Thanks,
John
Sash Lock Latch Sash Lock Sash Lock Latch Hole Centers
3 user uploaded images
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
May 16, 2024 1:44 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hey there, John. Lauren isn't here today but I'll do my best to assist you.

To start, if you use a pile that's the wrong height then one of two things will happen. If it's too short, then you'll obviously have air leakage and the seal won't be doing its job. If it's too tall, then you'll have excess friction during operation, which will lead to your window being more difficult to open and close.

Worst case scenario, if you're really not sure what height you need, you can opt to go taller than you think the original was and give it a "haircut" with a razor. I've done it myself in a pinch and it works fine. Just note that any products altered in this way cannot be returned for a refund. Additionally, you really need a steady hand, otherwise you risk cutting it too short and having the same air leakage problem I mentioned above.

Lastly, for your lock, I'd suggest the 90-180. This has a 2-1/4" hole spacing and a 3/8" backset. See how well that compares.

Dimensions for 90-180
Dimensions for 90-180

Home Owner from Illinois
May 16, 2024 5:16 pm
Thanks foe the clarification on the wool pile height. I did notice Lauren asked if I would like to try some samples, would the wool pile fall under her offering? If so, I'd be interested in trying various pile heights out. Also, If I got something that was the wrong size, how does the return shipping/exchange process work?

Thanks
Lauren
Lauren from SWISCO
May 17, 2024 7:52 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hi John,

Yes, we can provide up to five free samples, but there is a shipping charge. That includes the wool piles and bubble seals. If you would like to move forward, please provide the product codes that you would like to try out and I can send over an order link.

For returns, see our policy here

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts