SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

How do you remove the sash from a tilt window?

A home owner from Morgantown, W Virginia says:
I want to pull the window sash out of the window frame of my tilt window but I do not how. Are there simple instructions on how to do this?
Profile picture of Paul Sr.
Paul Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Most tilt window sashes can be removed from the window by following the general directions below. If you have any questions on how to remove the window sash from your specific type of window, it is best to ask the company who manufactured your window.

1) First unlock your window and raise the bottom window sash by about five inches.
First step on removing the window sash from the window frame.
2) On the top of the window sash there should be some type of tilt locking mechanism. Unlatch this locking mechanism and pull the top of the window sash towards you.
Second step on removing the window sash from the window frame.
3) Rotate the window sash until the sash unhooks from the frame and you can pull the window sash out of the frame.
Third step on removing the window sash from the window frame.
A quick learner says:
the windows I have are betterbilt with those tilt larches on the top corners of the window,not on the inside.26-295 tilt latch is snapped in place on top each corner if I'm not mistaken,right?

thank you for your reply
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
You may have a top tilt latch similar to the 26-243 Tilt Window Latch. If you look at the 26-243 and other similar latches we have listed online, you will notice they slide into the corners on the top of the sash and clip in.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)