New Style 96-C1 replacement sash pin

A quick learner from Kansas says:
I recently ordered and installed pivot lock shoe New Style 96-C1 in my Simonton window (circa 2010). The existing sash pin does not fit into the new shoe. What replacement sash pin do I need? Thanks Mike
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Mike. I'm afraid I don't know what it is you need. 96-C1 is not a code I'm familiar with and I wasn't able to match it to anything in our database. Would it be possible to see a photo of the new and old shoe, side-by-side? Can you also show me your existing pivot bar?

Tom. New pivot lock shoe is a CertainTeed coil spring pivot lock shoe, new style. It looks like the old broken one but existing pivot pin does not work in it. At this point it looks like a different pin is the best solution. Does one exist? Thank you.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220921_130907.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220921_130901.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks, these photos are a huge help. This looks like a match for our 15-192. To my knowledge the new version of this shoe should be fully compatible with the original pivot bar.

I don't see your pivot bar in your photos, so I'm not sure what style you're dealing with exactly, but Certainteed does make the modern 26-175 to interact with the new style shoe. However, it's important to stress that the new shoe should have still worked with the old pivot bars. If the old pivot bars didn't fit, then there's a good chance the 26-175 won't, either. I really need to see the pivot bars you have now to make a judgment. 

Tom:Sending photos of the pivot pin. Mike
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220921_164935.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220921_164933.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220921_164942.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you, Mike! This is a huge help. This is the old style Simonton pivot bar. Although the Certainteed shoe is nearly identical to the original Simonton, and is fully interchangeable in some instances, there are certain iterations of the Simonton shoe that are made specifically to accommodate this pivot bar. They have a groove in the metal cam to make room for the wider tip.

The bad news is that Simonton not only discontinued this pivot bar, they also discontinued the pivot shoe. Right now your options are limited. The easiest would be to re-use the metal cam from your old pivot shoe, which likely has that same groove that I mentioned. These metal cams can pop out of the plastic housing with a little pressure and you should be able to swap them.

If you don't have the old shoes, though, then your only other recourse would be to grind down the front tip of that pivot bar so that it's completely flat. That will give it the clearance it needs to fit in the Certainteed brand shoe.

Thank you Tom. I will try the switch out of the metal center. Great idea! Mike
Profile picture of Tom

Happy to help! Please let me know if you run into any issues or if you had any other questions.

SWISCO 26-175 CertainTeed Pivot Bar Pair
SWISCO 26-175 CertainTeed Pivot Bar Pair
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.