installing a 82-302 key tumbler in 1" thick door

A home owner from Four Oaks, NC says:
How exactly do I install a 82-302 key tumbler. Specifically, does the retaining clip pull out with pliers or depress into the cylinder allowing the cylinder to slide into place and then pop back out to retain cylinder in place. I ordered a 82-302 to replace my old one (with broken tailpiece)and pulled the retaining clip out with pliers. A small spring flew out and the retaining clip won't lock back into place now.
A little "thinking outside the box" solved my problem. The replacement of the retaining clip with an appropriately sized and fabricated large paper clip worked nicely.
I'd still like to know exactly how the "original" retaining clip is supposed to work, though.
Thanks for your advice.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Hey there! Glad you found a solution. Normally the "clip" that holds the key cylinder is depressed into the cylinder housing with the key installed into it. Once the cylinder is installed into the exterior handle and the key is removed the clip springs up holding it into place. Hope this makes sense. 

Thanks, Dave. That does make sense. Now I'll know if I ever have to replace another one.
Again, thank you.
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.