metal atrium window 28 3 kw cmc 1

A contractor from 89146 says:
I took this off the right side ( from inside of home looking to street) of a non tilt metal dual pane atrium window. The window will not lock. seems to be 1/8 off from latch catching.The latch on the movable window needs to go down about an 1/8 to catch or top window up 1/8" " I checked the fixed window to see if I could raise it by taking screws out a forcing up but no movement. The balance seem to be moving.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4212.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4213.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4214.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4215.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4216.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

Take a look and compare the specifications of the S395-29 channel balance with a 2830 strength option, which has a winged top and non-winged bottom attachment, to your assembly. 

You mentioned that your window won't lock. Do you suspect that the balance could be too long? If so, I would recommend checking an identical window in the house that is functioning properly to see if the balance specifications match the one shown in your photos. 

the s 395-29 seems to be right. Its 28 inches long correct? i checked the window next to it and it has the same balances. If you think a shorter balance will correct the non closing issue, I will buy two 395-29 and two shorter ones.
Profile picture of Casey

It does look like the tape measure shown in your photo indicates that your metal channel is 29" long but I would recommend measuring the exact height of the visible glass in your window sash, which will give us a better idea of the length that would work best in your window. 

The window is 20 minutes away so measuring the balance which I have with me is easier. The metal portion of the balance( without the two plastic ends, just the metal portion) is 29" long. How do I order those? Plus, if you think I should get two shorter ones to solve the locking issue, please recommend those balanaces. I will buy two of the 29" long ones and two shorter ones.
Profile picture of Casey

You are welcome to order two of both lengths directly on our website but we can't be sure if using a different size balance would correct the problem based on the information you've provided so far. If you decide that you want to try both length options and need to send back one or both pairs, our return policy can be found here

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.