1 5/8" Thick Door

A quick learner from New Jersey says:
I have a Sears brand storm door that needs a replacement latch. The outside is a knob, but I'm not wedded to the replacement being the same. The holes are spaced 1 3/4" apart, but the door is 1 5/8" thick. I could not find a kit in my local hardware store for such a thick door. I thought about trying to get a longer spindle and screws for the universal kit, but would prefer something designed to fit right. Can you help?
User submitted a photo of storm door hardware.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
This looks like an older model Sears door. What I would use to replace it is our 40-152 or 40-177. Both locks have 1-3/4" hole centers and can work for storm doors up to 2-1/8" thick. The locks sets come with a spindle assortment so you can use the one depending on the thickness of your door. I can't guarantee they will work, but I think they're a good place to start. Check them out and see if you agree.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 4-7 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at 856-317-6263 or at help@swisco.com.