15" SERIES 385 CHANNEL BALANCE

A home owner from Alamo, CA says:
I have old Viking non-tilt windows with 15" channels which have 1490 then FG then 21 on them. They are for smaller windows, so it seems they would not need more than the lower numbers like 1420 or 1430. Do you know which is appropriate? I want to buy a few since more than has had the string break recently (as we start opening them to cool off in the evening). Thanks, Paul
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

If the window is light, this is probably just an oddly-labeled stock balance. Let's see both end attachments, close up. Can you send photos? As well, how heavy is the window sash? That will help us be certain which option is right for you.

The ends look exactly the same as what you have. The window is 10.8 pounds (I took it off and weighed it). So I would assume the lightest makes sense. Given the friction in the sliding area, I assume a 10 point weight is just fine?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Ah, I didn't see the Series number up in your post's title. I was going to talk you through the Series identification process, but that wasn't necessary.

I see you did order. I think going up to the 1430 option was best. 1430 has a narrower range of weights that averages 11 pounds, versus the 1420 option, which averages 8 pounds. 

Thanks. Yes, once you noted that weight is key - I ordered with some margin since the friction of the casement is not very high, so being just over 10 pounds seems safer and the friction is more likely to work against the spring than the weight. Thanks for your help. Regards, Paul
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.