1938 Garage Apartment Window Cranks

A contractor from Austin, TX says:
Hello,

I'm restoring a 1938 garage apartment. These window cranks are from the original steel casements. The only distinguishing feature that I can identify is the 2 screw holes versus the traditional 4 that I've seen in other homes. The crank handle itself is also a unique shape, at least to my untrained eye. As far as I can tell there are no markings or logos on the windows and window hardware.

Look forward to hearing from you, thanks!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in. These are interesting operators. Can you open the window or remove an operator to show us the arms, though? That's going to be the key feature.

Sure! I will be back at the property later today and will do my best to take photos of the arm. Thanks.
Better late than never!

This project sat on the back burner for a while but is back up and running.

Here are a few photos of the operator.
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks again f or your patience. I'm afraid we couldn't find anything quite like this. It is just too old. Could you possibly use a more modern operator like our 39-044 and 39-045? Look these over and see what you think.

Those look like solid replacements.

My only concern is that the originals have 2 screw holes (one on each end). Drilling new holes would be a simple fix, but I need to go back and make sure that the hole spacing would align with the existing holes on the frames.

I'll get back to you after I take some measurements.

Thanks.
Profile picture of Tom

Great! Let us know. We're happy to help in any way we can.

Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.