1950s era spiral channel balance - no names or markings noted on the existing hardware.

A home owner from Hackensack, MN says:

Hello,

I am looking to replace some spiral balances. This is the first window i am attempting; i will have two others (of a different size). The old window bottom sash is about 24" high (longest side). The old spiral balance mounting brackets were in the 5/16" wide channel in the sash, and there was 22" between brackets. The only 'external to the channel' part of the mounting was a bracket that extended about 1" above the channel/lower sash, where a screw secured it to the jamb just above the lower sash when the window was closed. This bracket can be seen in the second photo; i bent everything quite a bit when trying to remove it (not knowing exactly how to do that. The sash weighs about 9 lbs (without the old balances). Can you please advise replacement spiral balances and the hardware i will need to complete a replacement project?

Thanks very much! Al 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Hack channel balance 1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Hack channel balance 2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Hack channel balance 3.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi, Al!

We don't carry your exact hardware but you can use our Series 500 and 17-012 bracket, which is sold separately. We've been using this combination as a solution for wood windows like yours for years and years and we find that it works great. See what you think!

A home owner from Hackensack, MN says:
Thanks, Emily!
That looks promising. So, if i plan on purchasing two of the Series 500 balances and two of the 17-012 brackets, as this is my first balance replacement project, what else do i need? It seems like there should be two more brackets (or something) needed, and i would get the mounting screws from you as well. Can you advise on a 'complete package' of all parts? That would be fabulous...

Thanks!!
Al.
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

I recommend our 75-005 charging tool, 33-017 to mount the balance and 33-090 for the bracket. We also have a blog article here that will walk you through the replacement process for this type of balance. 

How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.