1979 Anderson sliding patio door

A quick learner from Missouri says:
I have the mortise lock, Adams Rite Mfg, a 5 is stamped on one side. holes for mounting are 2 17/32 apart The key lock part in the picture has 7145-2 stamped inside. The bar which goes through the mortise lock may or may not be broken and too short , 7/8 inch sticks out of lock.. I am missing the latch hardware for the side opposite the lock.I would probably get a new latch and a new lock if I could find the right ones just to make sure the bar is long enough to reach the latch assembly. Please help, Martin.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230324_161120.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230324_161134.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hi Martin,

The mortise lock shown in your photos resembles the 82-263 shown below. Your thumb latch is an older version of the Andersen Tribeca 82-043 latch. Take a look and compare the specifications to your hardware. Thanks for posting! 

Alternate image for 82-263
Alternate image for 82-263

Alternate view of 82-043
Alternate view of 82-043

If you look at the photos again, the little tab that goes through the slot in the mortise lock is attached to the lock part that is on the outside of the door. The latch is on the inside and fits over that tab attached to the lock. The latches you show have tabs sticking out of them. I need a latch with a slot in it, no tab sticks out of the latch. If I replace the lock part and the latch part with current hardware will that work ? If so which parts would fit?
Profile picture of Casey

I'm sorry for the confusion but I'm not sure what difference you're pointing out. It sounds like you may be referring to the spindle that engages with the slot in the mortise lock, which is shown in your photos and looks like it would function the same way as our replacement parts do. The lock on the outside of the door, such as our 82-316 or 82-317, does not have a spindle but rather a slotted opening as shown below. Is that the part that you're referring to? 

Alternate view of 82-317
Alternate view of 82-317

Yes, thanks for giving it a name, the spindle. It appears that the new latch would have a spindle. My old lock which I would like to use has a spindle. I tried pulling it out, but no luck. So the old way was spindle in lock and slot in latch. The new appears to be the opposite. If I could get the spindle out of my lock, then I could buy a latch with a spindle. Or I could pull the spindle out of a new latch , are they removable?
Or do I need a new modern lock and latch? Thanks, Martin.
Profile picture of Casey

That is very interesting and not a setup that I have seen in this type of Andersen patio door hardware. I suspect that our parts may still work for you as long as you replace the latch and lock but I'm going to have one of our senior experts take a look and see if they agree. We'll reach out to you as soon as more information is available. 

Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

As Casey mentioned, the newer style Andersen lock sets have a long spindle that goes from the inside turn lever through the mortise latch and into the keyhole in the exterior key cylinder. These would be our best replacement options but you would need to replace both the inside latch and external lock for the parts to engage properly. Take a look at the related videos for more information on how these parts should install. If you run into any problems, our return policy can be found here.

VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Legacy Patio Door Handles, Locks & Spindles
Legacy Patio Door Handles, Locks & Spindles
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.