1980 home windows repair

A professional from USA says:

We have a home built in 1980.

The spring and cable type tracks on the sides of the windows are rusty and broke making it almost impossible to get the windows open and closed.

Do you have these track parts or do you know where we can order them?

Here are pics of side window tracks. All 9 are broken or damaged and need to be replaced. 3 windows 36" high and 6 are 62" high. Please advise on part numbers to order and price.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:
Hello, You have Series 377 balances and 18-042 top sash guides.
A quick learner from Winter Haven, FL says:
Hello,

I tried to incorrectly remove the side sash. I watched the video and now I will try again.

I see from the order form I need to measure the side sash of my windows to order the correct length.

Does the side sash I order have the spring, pulleys and sting or cord installed and ready to use?

Thanks,
Mike
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:
Yes, all of our balances come fully assembled and ready to install out of the box.
A quick learner says:
4 of the side sashes measure 18.5" so I assumed the 19" ones would work so I ordered 4 of the S877 - 19" sashes. Was my assumption correct? Or do you need to make them at 18.5" instead?
A quick learner says:
The option stamped on the old 18.5" side sashes is
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
It's a good thing you checked. I'm a little confused, though. Are you measuring your channel balance, or your sash? These are two different things and it's an important distinction. The channel balances support the sash, which is the glass panel. Can you clarify?

If your metal channel is 18.5" long, it will need to be custom made.
A quick learner from House is Located in Winter Haven, FL says:
I am measuring the metal channel from one end to the other and it is 18.5" and NOT your standard 19. I will need 4 of these for the garage windows. I guess in 1980 they made them 18.5". (The old ones are stamped 1820.)
Please send me the custom part number to order and the cost.
Oh, I also need at least one of the removal clips (picture attached), because I broke one removing a window. Maybe I should order 2. What part number do I order?
Thanks, Mike
User submitted image of their window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Gotcha. We'll email you a custom order link for 2 of these right now. You can use this link to add the special balance to your cart, as if it were any other product. It will also include a price quote.

As for the take out clip, how about our 16-023?
I am having difficulty getting the replacement window sash channel balance's hook to hook in the slot in the window frame. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Profile picture of Paul
With the sash removed, it is sometimes difficult to attach the bottom balance hook in the window track slot. Sometimes you need to pull out the hook out and lock the cord with locking pliers so you have play to hook the balance clip in the window slot.
Hello,

I assume no reply means I must have ordered the right channel balances, plus I just removed one that has the same tip as the new ones. I guess I just have to find a way to force the hooks in far enough to get them to hook.
Did I buy the right channel balances?

I can not get it in the window frame. The left side plastic piece prevents me from getting the right side plastic piece in the grove. Therefore I can not get the channel in far enough for the hook to attach. (See attached pic)

Please advise asap... (I needed to sell this house yesterday!)

I messed up and ordered too many of the 31" balances, so I am returning 4 plus the one with the broken plastic tip. Please issue me any credit that you can.

I am also ordering 6 more balances and 6 of the removal clips today.
Profile picture of Paul
Did you see my response back on the 9th? Please review and let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks again for your business.
How to replace a window sash channel balance
How to replace a window sash channel balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.