28D Channel balance

A handy person from Illinois says:
I have 5 windows with channel balances marked 28D. All of them spring up when the locks are unlatched. Would buying 29D balances solve this problem?
The bottom sash is 28.75H. I forgot to include that in the original post
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I'm not sure what it is you have, so I can't say for sure. Is there a specific SWISCO Series balance you were looking at? Also, a balance stamped with 28D should have a different length than a balance stamped with 29D. Your issue sounds like the spring is too strong, which wouldn't be fixed by installing a longer balance. Keep in mind that these stamps are not part numbers, or identification numbers, and should not be considered as such. They just indicate a few physical aspects of a balance, but there is much more that goes into identifying a replacement balance than just going off of the stamp.

I think at this point it would be best if you show me a picture of your balance so that I have a better idea of what you're working with. Without anything to go off of as a reference, I cannot make a confident suggestion.
It is a 770 series. I just thought it was odd that 16yo balances would be pulling up like that which is why I was wondering if they were too short. I thought I had seen a sizing guide before, but I must be mistaken. It is stamped 28D
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Did they only just start pulling up like you describe, or has this always been an issue? Also, what is the weight of your sash?

Most channel balances have a lifespan of 5-10 years, depending on how often they're used. If yours are 16 years old, then it could be they're just old and the springs don't work like they used to.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.