29G op BSI sash balance

A handy person from Manhattan says:
Window sash is 40 lbs.
Chords broke. I have additional photos that may be helpful but could not attach more than 5.
The photo labeled DSCF3812 is actually of another window in the next room, just to show the bottom piece that connects to the post on the sash, as best I can tell.
This was a new build apartment in 2004 and we are the original owners; windows were installed with the new apartment, and thus are the original sash balances too. I'd love to find the original manufacturer to match the putty color of the sash balance, but haven't been able to determine who it is.
Please let me know if I can send the additional photos.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSCF3805.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSCF3809.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSCF3804.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSCF3812.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 29 G  BSI
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing. This looks like a Series 770 Channel Balance. However, this will likely need to be specially made due to the extra-strong spring strength and the weight of your window sash. Could you confirm for us the length of the metal channel? In the time being my colleagues and I will look this over and get back to you if we need any more information. Many thanks.

Thanks Bob,
I was able to send the other photos in a subsequent form. It is 29". Is there any point in me just trying to restring it (since it's mostly the chord that's broken), or is that just not worth the hassle, given that these balances are not expensive?

I suppose we could reuse the springs from the old ones, but probably wouldn't make any sense. The springs are 16"

thanks,
frederick
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSCF3803.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSCF3807.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSCF3811.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSCF3802.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSCF3810.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for your patience during this busy season, Frederick. In general we never recommend trying to repair individual balances; this can actually be dangerous when it comes to the spring mechanism, as it is under a lot of tension. But in general, these balances are built as a singular component, and when they break its time to replace them wholesale. 

The good news is that we've added the stamp option of 29G for the S770-29 online. It will take 6 weeks for these to be made up, but you can sign up to be notified the moment its available through the S770-29 product page. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, and happy 4th. I'm on the list to hear when the item is ready. I noticed that some online balance shops ask the buyer to ship the old one in for exact I.D. Would that be helpful, or can I be confident that this is the correct one, based on the stamp, measurements, and photos submitted?
Profile picture of Bob

I feel pretty confident that our S770-29 is the right balance for you, yes. The only thing you may want to double check is how it installs at the top of the window frame; ours uses a screw, but if yours uses some other method then let me know.

How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.