30" Channel Balance and Top Sash Guide

A handy person from florida says:

I have many windows to work on in my house. The house was built in 2006. This balance is for my dining room, a single hung, non tilt window. the serial # on balance is 2990 38. see pictures. All measurements seem to match your 30" S380 series balance. The bottom sash weighs 33 pounds.

All windows in house have the balance showing, popped up due to broken top sash guides. Your top sash guide # 18-166 for a 5/8 Kinco match all of my top sash guide measurements.

Note: I replaced just the top sash guides from a like window, on this window and when i tried to bring window down the balances just wouldn't let it go down and it broke the top sash guides again.

Even though i see nothing noticeably wrong with the balances do they just stop working properly due to age?

I would like to order whatever parts I need to get this project going. Please let me know what Window balances/option I need to order to fix this first window. I can also send you pictures of top sash guide if you need them.

Thank you so much for your help. Joe

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Balance numbers Dining room.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Balance measurements 1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Balance measurements 2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Balance measurements 3.jpg
I am also adding the pictures for the Top Sash Guides I will be needing. They appear to match your part # 18-166 5/8 Kinco.
Please confirm these are the correct ones. Thanks again, Joe
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named tsg drawing.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named tsg 1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named tsg 2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named tsg 3.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named tsg 4.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in. Yes, I agree, this does look like an S380-30. The only other possibility might be our S385-30. The only difference is the depth of the bottom nylon shoe, or the 'heel-to-toe' measurement, between both Series of balances. The Series 380 has a 1" deep shoe, while the Series 385 has a 1-3/32" deep shoe. It's a bit hard to tell from picture of a measuring tape, so double-check this to be certain.

Now, you'll need to select a stamp option. Your stamp code of 2990 is from an older rating system we do not use. The safest course of action is to weigh your window sash. You can then match that exact weight with one of the weight ranges listed alongside each stamp option on the shop page. Let me know if you have any further questions.

I double checked and mine has a shoe balance of 1".

In the 1st above post. I had listed the sash weight at 33 pounds.

So what option do i need and will the 18-166 top sash guide work with this 380 series balance.

I had also, above, asked a question about how can I tell the balance is bad. And will I just need to weigh all of my other windows? Please let me know and I will get these ordered.

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Hello there. You are correct: the S380-30 30" balance, with a 1" bottom nylon shoe depth, is what you need. 

Now, your old stamp code of 2990 38 actually indicates a balance calibrated for a 38 lb sash. So typically we'd advise you use a stamp option of 2965, which is for a window sash that weighs 35 through 39 lbs. That said, if the sash is indeed exactly 33 lbs, then a stamp option of 2960, for a sash that weighs 32 through 35 lbs, would make more sense. Did you ever have trouble keeping the windows closed before the balances wore down? If so, it's possible they were too strong for the window, and the 2960 option would be more appropriate.

Broken balances will no longer hold up the sash, and you can tell when they go bad if the sash can't stay open, drops down, or makes a horrible sound when being used. If your old balances also use the old rating system, you will need to obtain the exact weight of those sashes to figure out what you need. 

Yes the window was hard to pull down , so I will go with the 33 pound option. And I will all the other sashes as well.
One last question : is the S-380 balance Compatible with the18-166 top sash guide.
That particular top sash guide matched all of my existing guides exactly as far as measurements go .
Thank you so much for all of your help, Joe
Profile picture of Bob

Yep, I've seen the 18-166 used with the Series 380 before; so long as the parts match what you have, they should work fine for you. My pleasure to help, Joe. Let us know if you need anything else, and thanks so much for considering our business.

Thanks for all your help and I will be placing my order on Monday thank you
Profile picture of Bob

You're quite welcome. 

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.