3/8 balancer & shoe

A home owner from FL says:
Balancer 3/8, black tip, 28.5 inches Please help identify for replacements. The shoe measures 3/8 x 1 15/16 x 15/16
Thank you Robert
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hey, Robert. We should be able to help, but I'd like you to confirm a few things.

First, can you confirm the diameter of your balance? They never made a 3/8" balance with a black tip. Make sure to only measure the outer tube, not the inside spring.

Can you also confirm that the length of the tube is 28.5"? If it is, that's fine. We usually recommend rounding up to 29" in those instances. They no longer make balances in 1/2" increments.

Finally, concerning your pivot shoe, can you clarify what your dimensions represent? Is 3/8" the thickness and 15/16" the width? Height doesn't matter so much, but I assume yours is 1-15/16". Assuming that's correct, I recommend our 15-134. Look it over and see what you think.

I appreciate your help. The balancer is 3/8, gauge it off the tape measure. The tips are black, the window is aluminum single hung tilt approx. 32" x 60" I'll leave it up to you guess what the weight is for the appropriate balancer. The shoe looks like it will work.
Thanks Robert
Profile picture of Tom

I'm afraid I cannot guess on this information. It's not enough to go by to make a reliable suggestion.

Are you making sure to only measure the outer tube when measuring the diameter of your balance? Looking at your third picture in your first post, the outer tube appears to be missing. If you're just measuring the diameter of that bare spring then it will not be accurate.

There is no 3/8" balance with a black tip. No company has ever made such a configuration and it's not something we can provide. I am almost certain your outer tube diameter will be 5/8". I highly recommend double checking.

If it is, then our Series 600 should work well as a replacement.

The balancer has an outer plastic tube covering the spring with that on it it's close to a 1/2" so I think the best bet would to working with the 1/2" balancer. I'd be relying on you for the spring tension, maybe use the middle rated one?
Thanks
Profile picture of Tom

They never made a 1/2" diameter tube in this style, either. Are you sure it's not 9/16"? If it is, then our Series 600 should work for that, as well. 

If you do have the Series 600 then you'd simply pick the Black Tip color option, which is what I see in your photos. 

When it comes to balances, you never want to guess or use estimates. It's important to be as precise as possible.

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.