40-101 replacement handles

A contractor from Delaware says:
Hi, will the 40 - 101 replacement handles work in my Pado Emco lock? I realize they are 1/2 inch shorter, but want to know if the shaft is the same size.

Thank you.
Chris
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

40-101 can work for you. The shaft is 2-7/16" long, but I don't know how long yours is.

I can tell you that the 40-101 is the same as the handles used on the 40-049 handle set, and that I've known many customers who have successfully used our this handle set to replace their old Pado lock. However, I also known a handful who couldn't get it to work at all. Now, whether there was a legitimate obstruction that prevented our hardware from working, or whether they just didn't know how to install it, I cannot say. It's just something to consider in case you wanted to go with this hardware.

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hi, Chris!

I pulled one of each of these out of storage.

I found that the shaft on the 40-049 handles was perhaps a hair thicker, at least on the particular examples I measured. That might explain the mixed reviews. What's surprising is that I couldn't identify even a minor difference in the two levers besides the shaft difference. It's not even a full 1/32" difference, and my measurements were with a measuring tape and not calipers, so take it with a grain of salt and see what you want to try.

Is the shaft diameter the same?
sounds good, I'll give it a try. The PADO shaft is 5/16" x 5/16", and shorter than 2 7/16" but I can cut it down.
Thanks for the help.
How to install the Swisco 40-049 Mortise lock set.
How to install the Swisco 40-049 Mortise lock set.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.