500 series balances

A contractor from Seattle, wa says:
Good afternoon.
I have nine windows originally installed in 1992 that I am replacing balances for, and have a particular pair I want to ask about. Both are non-tilt double hung lower sashes that weigh 39.6-40 pounds. The current balances are white tipped (all the others are black tipped with weights from 16 - 26 pounds), and they have never in their working life supported the sash open (they slowly closed). 5/8th inch balances 35 inches long in each. Am I in the range of needing a heavier rated balance (40lbs in the middle instead of the top of the range))? Each of these balances were turned 7 full revolutions when I detached them, which was more than the 4 turns the others had. I would appreciate any thoughts, as the homeowner wants the windows to stay open this time when they open them. Thank you! -brant
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello, thank you for writing in. I see that you were looking at our S500-35. If this is the spiral balance you need, then the black tip should function properly to hold your window open. The black tip is designed for window sashes that are 31 to 40 lbs. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with!

A contractor from Seattle, wa says:
Hello again
Is there a range of turns I have with the balance to adjust for my sash? How many turns would be too much? The previous white tipped balance had 7 complete turns, and that was not enough. As my sash is at the end of the balances' range can I give it 7 or more turns? And if these balances prove not able to support the sashes, do I have an alternative? Thanks again. -brant
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

If the balance has the appropriate strength for the window weight you shouldn't need to rotate it more than 2-3 times when adding tension. The black tip is the strongest stock option we have for the S500-35. If you're window is 40 pounds I believe it should work. However, if for some reason it doesn't let us know and we can look into making a custom balance for you. 

How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.