60's vintage windows

A handy person from Maryland says:

Hello, I purchased a home and need to repair some of the windows.

they have the spiral type balancers. However they are nothing like any on your website or any where else I googled. These are riveted together and appear the entire double hung assembly was installed as a unit in the window opening with no intent to be able to repair later without completely removing the sashes.

The only thing that appears wrong with the non-operational windows it the spiral bar has broken. These are actually attached to the bottom of each sash with "spiral nails" rather than screws. However once detached at the bottom they can be threaded out and removed ( with the plastic bearing captured on the spiral bar) on these the spring is actually the tube rather than the spring being in a tube. The entire assembly is covered by a thin aluminum channel. I want to know if it is possible to replace just the spiral bar ( with the plastic bearing and pivoting sash clip ) If not that, is there a tube assembly would be a suitable replacement? NOTE: the assembly in the photos is not the only size. ( There are different size windows that have broken balancers. Once availability is determined I can supply the sizes of the ones needed.)

One other question; for the remaining, not broken balancers what is the recommended lubricant for the spirals?

I took more pictures but your limit did not allow them to be added. If you need more, just let me know.

Thank you

Bill

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20211123_205307248.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20211123_205014084.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20211123_204939124.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20211123_204355009.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20211123_204334663.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi Bill. Start by looking at our Series 500 Spiral Balances for non-tilt windows. These have an outer tube diameter of 5/8". Compare and see if these match what you need. You could use the 17-012 Brackets with these replacement balances. 

For spiral balances, we recommend coating the inside spiral with white grease. Give that a try and see how they function after. You may also want to lubricate the jamb track in which the spiral balances are installed with silicone spray. If neither of these options work, then it may be time for new balances.

How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.