9 simonton double hungs plus one casement

A contractor from Cape May says:
Have customer with 9 Simonton tilt in double hung. Property build 2006. Need balances, shoes and pivot bars.

Also have Simonton casement. need operator
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for contacting us. They don't make these balances anymore, but we do have a more modern replacement. You can actually use the Certainteed coil balance system to replace it. See our 15-192 shoe and our Series 170 and Series 171 springs. Since it looks like you have two springs on each side, you want to use the Series 170 on the bottom and the Series 171 stacked above it. Hopefully that makes sense.

I'm not sure about your pivot bar. Simonton has been known to use our 26-336, but I don't know if that's what you have. Look it over and see what you think. 

If that's a match, great... but there's a catch, too: the 26-336 has a collar around the tip that will not fit in the center metal cam of the 15-192. You'll have to either re-use the center metal cams from your old shoes or you'll have to grind down the collar on the new 26-336.

I'll need a photo of the operator on your casement window. I have no idea what it might be without seeing it. If you can show it to me fully removed from the window, that'd be a huge help.

sorry I thought I had attached pic of operator
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

It's quite alright. The important thing we can now see it and continue to help you. Take a look at the 39-329 operator. If you should also need a handle, look at the 39-114L and 39-205 folding type handle. Either one would work for you. 

Went back today to nail down things a bit more. It looks like two coils but not sure or if they join / attach to each other.
Also u can see in pics that there is a cut out but coils won't fit thru that opening unless coils separate??? jam spreader?
Need to pull coils so I can see what one I need.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

That is unusual to hear that you aren't able to remove the coils through the cut out. Maybe try this, slide the exposed coil pass the opening to remove the next nylon cover. Next, slide the coil springs down and see if you can work the top coil spring out. You can also use the jamb spreader on your window to remove the coil springs through the cut out. Get back to us and let us know how everything works out.

Sorry about big gaps in time getting back,
Ok now that I have the (3) coils out I can see that a single small screws is all that attaches them to the shoe. I managed to twist shoe (while still in jam) a bit and remove screw which allowed me to pull each coil out. By the way they are all 407. Sash is HEAVY.
Anyway I will need to attach all 3 coils to the shoe before I insert into jam (unless you tell me other wise). So that will a bit of wresting or buying a jam spreader set.

Now that I have everything apart it appears the plastic shoe is only thing broken. Going to try what you suggested and reuse the metal cam.
Thanks
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Besides switching cams, you can also file down the top and bottom rings of the 26-336 pivot bar so it will fit into the 15-192 pivot shoe.

Did u miss me...I keep the discussion going.
Ok.
1. Operator doesn't really fit...see gaps. Is there another one or am I at end with this fight?
2. Shoes:
A. I needed to take a sharp utility knife and trim off nubs on either side to make them fit
B. These windows have 3 coils secured to plastic shoe with small metal screw. Maybe that's why they broke in first place. Anyway real fight to get them into jam channel.
C. I re used the old cams and foot AKA bar would not fit in so I'm assuming I will still need to grind them down.
D. I bought the jam spreader and that helped a bit but still a pain.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble. Could our 39-220 and 39-221 be better options? These have a slightly longer base and a similar arm setup. Carefully compare them to your original operators and see what you think.

SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window pivot bar
How to replace a window pivot bar
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
VIDEO
WATCH >
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.