ANSI/AAMA 101-88 WINDOW

A home owner from Roseville CA says:
LOOKING FOR REPLACEMENT PARTS FOR OUTSIDE FRAME PARTS PLASTIC APPROXIMATELY 1" THREE PER WINDOW AT BOTTOM OF ALUMINUM FRAME ALLOW FOR WATER TO DRAIN OUT OF WINDOW FRAME APPROXIMATELY 1/4" WIDE
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:
Start by looking at item number 26-417, Weep Hole Cover.
If this will not work, please reply with detailed photos, we would be happy to research a replacement for you.
A handy person from Palm city Fl. says:
We have your windows house built in 92. Need to know how to remove bottom window to clean top , as top window is stationary. And inside has 1" frame, so there is no way to remove either upper or lower window.
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

I am afraid we never made glass windows, just storm windows earlier in our company's history. I suggest hiring a local pro to help. Good luck with the repair. 

A handy person from CO says:
I need the rollors and seal for window series
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Capture.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 6-303.JPG
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

I was unable to get the manufacturer from the tag. Your photo of the roller is blurry, but it looks similar to the 87-203. Please compare.

A quick learner from Estero, Florida says:
I have an ANSI AAMA 101-88 51 inches wide, it was installed many years ago. The top pane has a vertical crack. I have gone on utube to see if I could find an explanation on how to repair/replace the cracked window but have found nothing. Is there a way to take the window apart? Being so old the aluminum seems curroted and the vinyl spine seems brittle to remove. I am afraid to try. Is there a safe way to remove either the complete top section and have the window repaired or a safe way to remove the window itself and replace the window. Any advise would be appreciated. Thank you, John
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

If your window is an older aluminum design, then there is a chance you may not be able to remove the sash at all. A lot of these older aluminum windows were mass-produced and explicitly designed so that you couldn't repair them. If anything went wrong, according to the manufacturer, you would simply just buy a new window.

That's obviously not ideal, but it may be the situation you're in now. I think your next step should be to contact a local professional to come out and look at the damage to determine if it's something that's possible to repair.

A quick learner from Orange, California says:
I am looking for a repair company for my ANSIA/AMA 101-88 windows. They no longer say open on their own. any help will be appreciated. Thank you.
Profile picture of Tom

I'm afraid I don't have any contacts for repair companies in your area. It sounds like an issue with the window balances, based on your descriptions, so there's a good chance we can help you. However I would need clear photos of the original balances so that I can identify a match in our inventory. Would that be possible?

If I can pick out a match from our inventory, I can tell you how they're installed. Most balances are fairly simple to replace and don't require professional assistance (though admittedly not all).

Hi, I am having trouble keeping my windows open. You asked for pictures. I know these items in the picture needs to be replaced. can you give me a name of someone who can do this? thank you.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20221001_130422 (1).jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20221001_130422.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for your photos. Based on what I see here, you have either our Series 380 or Series 385, depending on the depth of the bottom shoe. That's the only difference between them. I recommend measuring your shoe and referring to our dimensions to confirm the best match.

I'm afraid I don't have any contacts in your area. You might want to contact a local hardware store to see if they can put you in touch with a repair professional in your area. I will also share a video below that shows you how these are installed; you may very well be able to do it yourself.

Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.

Hi, The bottom part of the shoe measure 1 inch. thank you for all the information, I feel I can replace them my self. the rod measures about 28 inches long. So what should I order?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

You'll want the Series 380 if the bottom shoe is 1" deep. There should also be a stamp printed on the metal channel that you'll need to refer to in order to select the proper strength option for your replacements. 

sorry about the last email. I have now watched all the videos you sent. here are more pictures.
the one says 26 4 BO CALWELL (first picture). the metal stick is 26 inch. Thank you.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window end top.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window hook.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window roller.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window side.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named thumbnail_002.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

If your balance has a 26 4 stamp, then the metal channel should be 27", not 26". You also mentioned before that it was 28" long, so I'm a little confused. You should really just measure the metal channel to know for sure.

A stamp of 26 4 also corresponds to our 2640 stamp option.

thank you for the help. Now I have another question. I have some windows that will not open. Can you tell me how to get them open? they only move about 1/2 inch when trying to open them. So I don't know what kind of picture I should send.
Profile picture of Tom

I'm afraid I don't know why these windows won't open. There could be a million different reasons why. Either the balance is broken and jammed in the track, or there's some other obstruction getting in the way. There's also the chance that the frame itself is damaged in some way and preventing it from opening like it should. Those are just the ideas that come to mind, too.

Your first step should be to try to lubricate the track to see if that helps get it moving again. Hopefully it's just something hung up for whatever reason and a little silicone spray or even oil will convince it to slide.

A home owner from florida says:
Hello- We have large sliders in our condo built in the early 90's and I am wondering what the hurricane rating is on them. The two heavy ones are Ansi/AAMA - 101-88. They are heavier than two other sliders in the house (101-93) and so I'm guessing it must be somewhat hurricane resistant. I would like to know what wind strength it can handle. Thanks so much for your help.
Profile picture of Tom

I'm sorry to say that this isn't information that we would have access to. I suggest contacting the original manufacturer of the window, or the maker of the glass themselves, for assistance. There should be a name etched on the glass to tell you who made it.

How to install a weep hole cover
How to install a weep hole cover
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.