Acorn door handle latch keeps breaking.

A quick learner from Boulder, Co says:
Hi. I ordered 3 x 82-055K "Keyed Handle Set, Acorn" between two orders. The latch broke on the first one almost immediately. After the first one broke I ordered the second and third (one as a spare). Then, the second broke a week after it was installed... so, now two are broken and I have a third which I reluctant to install.

Three questions:
- given 2 broke under normal, everyday use in exactly the same way, can I send them back to review for quality / refund?
- I'd like to return the third one too. This one is not used.
- Do you have a more robust product that will fit the same size door? Its for a rental property, and I'd like to not have to deal with this for some time!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Sorry to hear you're having trouble! Since more than one lock broke, I would wager these were not defective. There is also not a more sturdy version: Acorn only made this one type, and they are out of business to boot. That said, I've never heard of a problem like this, at least not with this kind of consistency. I think the culprit may be something other than the latch.

First, how is the door rolling? In my experience, when door handles keep breaking the reason is usually because the wheels or tracks are damaged or hung up, with dirty or debris, or even because of dents. I would examine how the door rolls to see if that could be the issue. The door should be able to open with one finger.
A quick learner from boulder says:
the door opens very easily. is there a more robust product that another company makes?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Ah, I see. Unfortunately, I know of no other company that makes a different version of this. Acorn is out of business and they only made one version. I am sorry we cannot be of more help.
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.