Add a lock to this door

A home owner from 92120 says:
I want to add a lock to this sliding door. I bought it a few years back from Home Depot, but can't find a name or manufacturer. I think it might be Jeld-Wen.

Having hard time finding something to add on a lock. I believe that I can use your:
1) 82-086 LEGACY KEYED HANDLE SET, 3-15/16" (1-1/8" TO 2-1/2")
or
2) 82-315 KEY LOCK AND HOUSING

But wanted to confirm that I am correct so I don't have to return or anything.

I don't have all the tools need for the 82-315 (but can probably borrow) so my preference is the Handle set assuming it should be an easy install and the fact that it gets here faster.

Thanks!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210124_142003.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210124_142021.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210124_142110.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210124_142130.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210125_080651.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! I think the 82-086 has a good chance of working for you, yes. My only reservation is the thumb latch position. Note that the thumb latch on the 82-086 is fixed in the lower position. Your old one seems to be in the lower position, too, but you should check just to make sure.

The 82-086 also already comes with a key lock, there's no need to purchase the 82-315 separately.

If you only wanted to add a key lock to your existing handle, then the 82-315 is your best bet. My reservation here is that I'm not sure if you have the room on your exterior handle to install it. You may be safer buying an 82-044 exterior handle as well.

Hi Tom,

Thanks so much for the response back. Yes, the thumb latch is in the lower position so looks like the 82-086 is going to be my choice.

My tool selection is fairly limited so modding the existing handle will likely be not worth the extra work.

Thanks!
Hi Tom,

I have received the 82-086 that I ordered but I cannot install. I'm not too familiar with the terms, but I think the "binding post nut" is too long / doesn't fit through the door. You can see in my last photo of the previous, and then highlighted more directly in the new photos, it makes it through the white part of the door, but not through the mechanism in the middle of the door.

I assumed this was standardized and not going to be an issue based on your last comment. The holes line up it's simply that the binding post nut doesn't work here.

What can I do? Get a new binding post nut? If I'm not sure in the length and if it needs the lines between the head and the shaft to help with the fit (I don't know what that is called). I attempted to take photos next of current to help with size.

I'm quite a novice (as you can tell from my questions, so would prefer not to add a lock to existing handle as I previously mentioned.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210208_125822.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210208_130144.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210208_132350.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210208_132609.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210208_132833.jpg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Your mortise latch should have a top hole on the side for that binder post to slip through. It definitely shouldn't be sticking out of the door like that. Take a look at the 82-243 mortise latch as an example and examine our pictures for it. You can see the hole I'm talking about at the top side of the lock. Check to see if your existing mortise has that same hole.

Hi Dave,

There is a top hole on the mortise latch. The screw provided goes all the way through the door and mortise latch top hole, is the nut that receives the screw that is too wide (or long) to fit through the mortise latch top hole.

That's not something I can say for sure, since I don't know if your mortise is a special kind or not. I can only tell you that that nut is specifically designed to go through most kinds of mortise holes. You may want to remove the mortise from the door and try to "install" the handle through it to see if you can eyeball exactly what's going wrong. Let me know what you come up with.

Hi Dave,

I have tried again, and the nut is not fitting through the mortise holes. A shorter one should work, I just don't know how to acquire a short one. What the specs would be? What the actual name of that type of nut is?

What you need is a "Thru-Bolt". I would suggest taking the fasteners you now have to a hardware store in your area. They should be able to give you the one you need for your patio door. Normally what I would do would be to open up the hole with a rat tail file to install the handle if I came across this problem.

How to install a Legacy Handle Set
How to install a Legacy Handle Set
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Sliding Glass Door Latch Lever
How to Replace a Sliding Glass Door Latch Lever
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 82-218 Mortise Lock
How to install the 82-218 Mortise Lock
VIDEO
WATCH >
Legacy Patio Door Handles, Locks & Spindles
Legacy Patio Door Handles, Locks & Spindles
GUIDE
READ >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.