Alternate folding crabk

A home owner from Andover MA says:
We recently did a remodel but kept the old Anderson casement windows, 1986. Are there alternative operator levels that fold away versus sticking out like the picture here?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3DEF61D7-6363-42F8-9688-EA407337A325.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

It looks like you have an Andersen handle akin to our 39-186. Look over the dimensions to confirm. If that's the case, you should be able to use either our 39-301 Folding Handle or 39-298 Tee Handle as a replacement, but I am afraid neither come in a black finish. I apologize for any inconvenience. 

A home owner from Maine says:

Years ago I replaced my Andersen (crank) handles - traditional old style 1980s- with some Tee Handles, because I wanted lower profile AND white color to match all my trim. I like them, but find the leverage/torque situation difficult to my aging hands !

Is there another handle (maybe your 39-301 or similar) that comes in white ? I suppose I could get the traditional stone color and spray paint them, otherwise ?

Your suggestions would be appreciated.

Suzan

PS - Sorry I forgot to mention/ask (regarding prior post): I see that your 39-301 does come in white. However, I am not certain it fits onto the very old window/cranks I have. I've attempted to snap a picture of the Tee handle on the window.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named T Handle on 1983 anderson window.JPG
Profile picture of Bob

Yes, you should be able to replace this tee handle (our 39-298) with the 39-301 Folding Handle. Let me know if you have any other questions! 

Thanks for your assistance, greatly appreciated. May I ask for (minor) clarification on something AND perhaps a suggestion?
39-301 Folding Handle appears to be same/similar to an earlier version which itself came with a curvy looking cover plate vs. the more traditional rectangle. However, when I pull it apart, the interior mechanisms seem the same (that is, screw to handle, knob etc)

As I look at your other little "basic" version 39-186, it appears to be more shallow in depth than the old style cranks which typically came with the windows, as there was a longer "handle" with the knob affixed. Looking at this one (39-186) I'm unclear on whether one has to remove the entire original "cover plate" section in order to accommodate this replacement handle? OR if it just screws in like the folding one, or even the original one, did ?

IF the latter, how would you characterize the projecting/depth of the thing - WOULD it actually suffice for some/many of the applications where we want less interference with honeycomb blinds but aren't wedded to whether it FOLDS or not ?

Sorry if my questions are tedious, but the drawings don't make it easy to ascertain this sort of qualitative issue.
Profile picture of Bob

I don't think you'll have any trouble just screwing the 39-186 on like any other handle--removing the cover shouldn't be necessary unless the cover's contours make it incompatible with the newer handles, and judging from your photos I don't see evidence that this would be the case. The 39-301 (and any of these operators I have mentioned) should fit any Andersen Operator with a 3/8" gear bore. Again, the plate shouldn't be an issue unless the shape interferes, which I don't think it will. For reference, if you did need a new cover for the operator, see our 39-154

Now, the 39-186 has a depth of 1-7/8" (see the image below). Unfortunately, most window manufacturers don't really take blinds into account when designing their operator mechanisms, and Andersen is no exception. 

Let me know if this helps, or if you have any other questions or concerns. 

Alternate view of 39-186
Alternate view of 39-186

Thanks SO much for taking the time to offer assistance. Since I will need MANY of these handles, I want to be confident about the profiles.

BTW: After reading a bit about your company, and now having direct experience with YOU (help-person!) I can honestly say that this level of customer assistance is truly excellent. And unfortunately, sort of an anomaly in these times. THANKS
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.