Andersen Balance replacement

A quick learner from USA says:
I have a broken guide string on one side of the window and need to replacement my sash balance.
This is an Andersen window.

Should I do this in pairs or just do the one side that is broken?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Yes, it would be a good idea to replace both at the same time. If one balance failed, it's likely that the other isn't far behind.

I would be happy to offer a suggestion for a replacement, if you'd like. Please remove the balance from the window and tell me what stamps are printed on the surface of the box. It may be even better if you take pictures of the stamps. Sometimes seeing how the numbers are printed is just as important as the numbers themselves.
A quick learner says:
One window is 11600-17 on the big portion.
On the edge I see 527-3 BJ27-1089
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hmmm... can you double check the BJ27 stamp? I think it might be 8J27, instead. If so, I recommend our 24-837. This can replace balance boxes with a stamp of 8J27.
A quick learner says:
I will check.

The other window is marked as 11600-17 but on the edge is 519-3 J61 9 90.

I was thinking both of these were the same part as I was keying on the 519. The second window is just a single individual window.
Profile picture of Tom
Well, a 24-531 can replace balance boxes stamped with 519, certainly, but not 527. At this point, it may be best if we see a few pictures of the stamps for both balances. Like I said above, sometimes seeing how the numbers are printed is just as important. There are some subtle differences between numbers that we can catch, and that will let us know right away which number is the key number. Otherwise, we're dealing with a jumble of characters and it can be a little confusing.
A quick learner says:
This is from my single window bathroom. I call this 519-3.
User submitted a photo of an anderson balance.
A quick learner says:
second photo
Profile picture of Tom
Thank you! Looks like 519 is stamped on both balances. Therefore, I recommend our 24-531.
A quick learner says:
Those pictures were of the same window (bathroom).

These two photos are the one from my family room. This is more of a challenge.
A quick learner says:
another pic
User submitted a photo of an Andersen window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
That is weird! This balance has both the 5 27 stamp and the 8 27 stamp. I'm a little confused why they did that. I think the best t hing to do now is to give us the size of the visible glass for that window. That is the only other solution I can think of.
A handy person says:
Here is a photo of the window.

Each side has a window the goes up and down while the center pane is fixed.

Center is 46.5" wide and 47" tall.
Each pane of the side windows is 16 3/8" wide and 24" tall.
Profile picture of Paul
Thank you. In that case, I think the 24-531 would be best for you. I still cannot guarantee it will work, but it is the closest match I could determine based on this information.
How to replace an Andersen Window Balance
How to replace an Andersen Window Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Andersen's Narroline Sash Balances
Andersen's Narroline Sash Balances
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.