Andersen Window Sash Balance

A home owner from Godfrey, Illinois says:

SWISCO Experts:

I have a triple double hung window (see attached picture) at the front of my house. Due to allergies, these windows are seldom opened. However, I opened one the other day and noticed the balance was not retracting all the way. With some great pointers from your video, I pulled out the bad balance.

Here is where it seems to get tricky to me. Based on measurements of visible glass in a sash (23 15/16" X 28 7/16"), I thought I would need an 837. However, when I looked at the extracted sash balance, does that not say 727 in the stamp (see attached picture), or am I mistaken?

What is your thoughts?

Thank you,

Dave

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image_windows.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Andersen_image_balance_1.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting, Dave. The sash size is, in my opinion, an unreliable way to determine the proper replacement balance for these Andersen windows. There's definitely formulas that are meant to guide you but it always seems to be a coin flip.

Meanwhile, the number printed on the balance itself is clear-cut and no-nonsense. At this stage you have to ask yourself if the window has been working well all these years. If it has, then trust the stamp: "727" indicates that you can use our 24-737 as a replacement. 

A home owner from Godfrey, Illinois says:
Thank you. I used your link and it has been ordered!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thank you very much! We really appreciate it, Dave. Please let me know if you had any other questions and I would be happy to help.

How to replace an Andersen Window Balance
How to replace an Andersen Window Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Andersen's Narroline Sash Balances
Andersen's Narroline Sash Balances
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.