Andersen sag

A quick learner from California says:
I recently purchased a pair of Andersen sash balances (24-637), but the sash won't stay up.
What balances should I use for an Andersen sash that weighs 20 Lbs?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Could you tell me what numbers were printed on your original balance box? That will allow us to determine exactly what you need.
A quick learner from Redwood City, CA says:
Good afternoon Tom,
Thank you for your prompt response. The part number given to me by my project manager is 11600-17. Steve from Customer Care informed me that there should be another series of numbers with a "#" sign. I've reached out to my project manager to see if he could gather that information for me.

Kind regards,
Ryan
Profile picture of Tom
Thanks, Ryan. Yes, there should be more stamps. Knowing each number printed on it will help us. "#" is the most common symbol, and usually indicative of the right number, but there are other configurations. It's frustrating, but sometimes even the size and font used to print the stamp is just as important as the number itself. Seeing pictures of each stamp would be the fastest and most reliable method of recommending the best match, if that's a possibility.
Hi Tom,
Attached are two images of the original sash balance.
Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Ryan
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Perfect. The key number here is "731." I recommend our 24-737 balance, which is meant to replace balance stamped with that number.
Thank you Tom!

Kind regards,
Ryan
Hi Tom,

Ordered the sash balances but they failed. The window keeps sagging down. I need something that will be able to support 20-22 lbs of weight.

Please advise.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
That's odd. Your balance definitely has "731" stamped on it, which is for a much lighter sash. That's a pretty big jump. Did you ever find that your old balances did not work properly? Just to be safe, can you give me the height of the visible glass for both the top and bottom sash?
Happy New Year Paul!

The height of the visible glass is 24" and the width is 24-3/8".

Thank you and I look forward to your product recommendation.

Kind regards,
Ryan
Profile picture of Paul
Thank you again for your patience. The size of your glass indicates a 24-737 would be the best match. This is a peculiar case. I do not know why your balances were failing, all clues point to the 24-737 as being the one you need. It's possible someone replaced the glass with something heavier at one point in the past. If you want to try it out, you could try the next balance up, but I cannot guarantee that this will work. I am sorry we cannot give a more definitive solution.
Hi Paul,

What is the next balance up? We might just take the chance and try it.

Thank you!

Kind regards,
Ryan
Profile picture of Paul
To be honest, at this point I think it's best to go a few levels up. See our 24-1033, which can support 20 pounds. I can't guarantee it will work, but you have such a strange setup that I don't think anything will be an exact match. This may be your best bet.
Good afternoon Paul,

Thank you for your recommendation. Ordering them today through your website.

Kind regards,

Ryan
Profile picture of Paul
Thanks for the order, Ryan. Let us know how it works out.
How to replace an Andersen Window Balance
How to replace an Andersen Window Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Andersen's Narroline Sash Balances
Andersen's Narroline Sash Balances
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.